Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Testing

Seeking testers for a new widget

Caleb

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 - 8:49 pm    Post subject: Seeking testers for a new widget Reply with quote

I've just about finished work on a widget that I wrote to replace the calculator widget that comes with OSX. The widget uses an the javascript eval function to evaluate expressions entered on a smallish input line. You can do enter things like 2.7*3.4 or cos(pi) (certain terms are parsed before passing to eval) or just about any valid javascript expression. I haven't put a website up yet so if you would like to test the widget email me ( caleb at unr.edu ) and I'll send it to you.

Additionally (and I realize this is the wrong forum to ask) I'm looking for a graphics designer to design a new frame and icon. The graphics that I created are OK but I think they could be improved.

For you programmers out there: because the widget evaluates straight up javascript it is possiblle to create variables that will reside in memory until the system is rebooted or dashboard restarts (it is possible to "break" the widget but you have to want to). This could be interpreted as a form of memory leak particularly for users who leave their system running for a very long time and use lots of unique variable names. What I could do is limit the number of variables to a specific set of predefined names. This would in turn limit the generalized javascript functionality but would limit the ammount of memory consumed. It would have added benefit that variables could be stored across sessions. Personally, I favor the idea of leaving things as they are but I am interested in what you guys think.

A final (amusing) note: because I could inspect all the local variables used by the widget from within the widget I actually used it to debug itself as I was writing it. It wouldn't be particularly useful for debugging other things because it doesn't have access to their variables but it worked well for debugging itself. Kind of a different take on the notion of recursive programming.

-Caleb
Da_Vinci

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 - 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do the graphics!

PM me!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.