Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

Explorer Destroyer script

Powermacguy

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 - 9:21 pm    Post subject: Explorer Destroyer script Reply with quote

why don't you put an explorer destroyer script on this web site that is like "This website is not compatible with internet explorer" "please go download firefox" then have a button like "Continue to site"
galendw

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 - 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Explorer Destroyer script Reply with quote

Powermacguy wrote:
why don't you put an explorer destroyer script on this web site that is like "This website is not compatible with internet explorer" "please go download firefox" then have a button like "Continue to site"

You forgot to include a link.

http://www.explorerdestroyer.com

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 - 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because though it looks bad in IE, it still works. Some people don't have a choice.
purvisa

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 - 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, Powermac99 is right. As much as I despise what IE does to the web, it hardly seems fair to hurt a developer community such as this one. We know that Tiger users would have to be insane to use IE 5.x (the last Mac version ever) when Firefox, Camino, and Safari are all superior, but what do we say to those who are locked into IE use at work or Internet cafes, despite their preference for other brwsers?

Besides, how better to make the Sidebar people sick with jealousy than to let them see what we have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
Powermacguy

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 - 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purvisa wrote:
Sadly, Powermac99 is right. As much as I despise what IE does to the web, it hardly seems fair to hurt a developer community such as this one. We know that Tiger users would have to be insane to use IE 5.x (the last Mac version ever) when Firefox, Camino, and Safari are all superior, but what do we say to those who are locked into IE use at work or Internet cafes, despite their preference for other brwsers?

Besides, how better to make the Sidebar people sick with jealousy than to let them see what we have?

you're right. let them see what they can have
purvisa

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 - 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Dashboard has had (still has) some security issues, but I am glad I won't have to deal with the first couple of waves of Sidebar security holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
skyhawkrider

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 - 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know that Dashboard has had (still has) some security issues, but I am glad I won't have to deal with the first couple of waves of Sidebar security holes.

I'm confused... what security issues are still around that weren't fixed in 10.4.1? A lot of potential security threats for Dashboard arose in the first (public) release of Tiger, when widgets could be automatically downloaded to your computer without a person even noticing. That was immediately fixed in 10.4.1, and now in 10.4.2 (OK, 10.4.3) you have to approve of what widgets are allowed in Dashboard. Who knows? I could be wrong about Dashboard's security threats, but seeing as there hasn't been one widespread, malicious Mac virus, I have doubts as to if there are any for Dashboard.

...but still, I must agree that I will be happy about not having to deal with Sidebar security holes; there will always be Windows viruses, and soon, Sidebar will be plagued with them as well, while we Mac users sit back in our chairs without one virus nesting in our Dashboard or Applications folder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
purvisa

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 - 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There exists the possibility of security breaches involving widgets because of the level of access those widgets can be granted. DBW screens its submissions, but I still disable unnecessary access. Other sites have no screening process, however, and malicious code can execute quite easily. This is one reason I use DBW as my primary widget source.

That there have been no outbreaks is no indication that the risk is not present, much as the lack of maulings by lions in Atlanta demonstrates the value of that city's law prohibitting the walking of one's lion in public without a leash.

I tend to agree, however, that dashboard will likely remain more secure than Sidebar could ever hope. The causes of this, I suspect, may be found in the approach Apple takes to design: Assume maximum security at the outset; then, grant what level of access is needed, piece by piece, while shoring up any risks that access might provide.