Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Testing

Deep Sleep : an hibernation widget.

cochonou

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 - 6:17 am    Post subject: Deep Sleep : an hibernation widget. Reply with quote

Greetings,
I have coded a few days ago a small widget to enable "hibernation" mode on the new Powerbooks HD which support the "safe sleep" function. It only works on Mac OS X 10.4.3.

This will also work on many other Apple computers, thanks to a "hack" which was first reported on this site.

Initial bug-hunting and testing has already been done. There has been no catastrophe so far. I feel now that the widget is quite safe to use, and therefore it might be time to put it into wider testing.

I would really appreciate if some users of this forum could spend a little time testing the widget, and report me their experience. I would particularly like to have some feedback on what happens on the unsupported configurations, namely :
- Computers without Mac OS X 10.4.3,
- Computers not supporting safe sleep, and without the "hack" installed.

You can download the widget from this site by searching for "Deep Sleep", or directly at this URL.
Thanks a lot.
Bryan

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 - 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the coolest widget in the world!
cochonou

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 - 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support. Smile
apha

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 - 9:10 pm    Post subject: New App and Deep Sleep work in tandem Reply with quote

I just got the new 12" powerbook 1.5Ghz and "safe sleep" was not included (Apple literature states it's in 15" and 17" pbooks).

Anyway, Suspend Now http://www.jackoverfull.altervista.org/applicazioni/suspendnow/index-en.html is the first app. I could find to institute the "safe sleep" necessary for the widget to work on my pbook. So far so good: it's worked without a hitch and didn't have to use Matt's hack, as good as it may be. I'll update more if anything changes.

Oh, so in answer to cochonou's request, I have 10.4.3 and first tested the widget w/o the app, hack, or safe sleep installed. The moon icon simply gave the msg that safe sleep wasn't supported (or something like that). After installing the Suspend Now app, the widget works great (about 9 seconds to load the waking up screen).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.