Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

How To

videogamer

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 - 7:12 pm    Post subject: How To Reply with quote

How Exactly DO you make a widget? I'm new and i don't know how
rmathus

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 - 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, you'll need an HTML file and Javscript file. It helps to have a CSS file for laying out the content.

These sites will help:
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/05/06/dashboard.html
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html

Have fun!
purvisa

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 - 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that you approach this a little differently than your initial question suggests. Rather than asking how to make a widget, decide what simple task you would want to put into a widget (even if someone else has made the widget).

If you start with a goal, you will work, initially, on those areas that you need to learn, allowing you to improve over time without spending effort on areas that may cause more confusion than they are worth with your first effort.

Just keep a list of the tricks you want to learn for future projects and keep asking questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
Dori

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 - 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Reply with quote

videogamer wrote:
How Exactly DO you make a widget? I'm new and i don't know how

While I'm a tad biased (because I wrote it), I think that Macworld's Whip Up A Widget article is a good place to start. It doesn't do anything complex, but it will give you an idea of what goes where and what you'll need to learn to create more complex widgets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
rmathus

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 - 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Reply with quote

I had forgotten about the Macworld one! That's one of the best places to start if you know little about widgets. The sites I mentioned are a bit more in-depth and would be a good read AFTER the Macworld tutorial Smile
videogamer

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 - 3:23 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

While I'm a tad biased (because I wrote it), I think that Macworld's Whip Up A Widget article is a good place to start. It doesn't do anything complex, but it will give you an idea of what goes where and what you'll need to learn to create more complex widgets.
Thanks! I got it, but when you are dealing with other pics, how do you do the prefrence file?
Dori

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 - 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

videogamer wrote:
when you are dealing with other pics, how do you do the prefrence file?

In this particular example, all you might want to change in the preferences is the height, width, and CloseBox values if you're using a different graphic. So, duplicate the preference file, and then edit the fields that need changing.

As the article says:
Quote:
If you’ve installed the Xcode Developer Tools that come on the Tiger installation DVD, you can launch the Property List Editor utility (/Developer/Applications/Utilities) and create a file from scratch that contains the required properties and values (see first screenshot). For this example, simply download the countdown widget’s Info.plist file and modify the appropriate fields using the Property List Editor utility or a plain-text editor such as Bare Bones Software’s free TextWrangler.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.