Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

dashboard widgets on konfabulator?

seeshaughnessy

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 - 11:01 pm    Post subject: dashboard widgets on konfabulator? Reply with quote

I'm REALLY new to widgets, but i used a tutorial to make my first one (PotterCast) yesterday (posted in the showcase). How do I go from a widget made for dashboard to a "Yahoo! Widgets" widget? Is it hard to do this? do i need to start over? or can I change it to make it available for both?

Thanks in advance

Chris
purvisa

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 - 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the underlying parts, like your CSS positioning, will be essenitally the same for Konfabulator, but you will have to make plenty of changes. Konfabulator is based on XML rather than HTML/XHTML, so you will have to migrate your code, and do it with particular care for structure. Also, many of the built-in elements of Dashboard widgets are not built-in elements in Konfabulator. Finally, Konfabulator widgets are not, by default anyway, cross-platform, so you will need to find away to test for Windows.

Will you have to start over? No. Will you have to find a tutorial and rewrite large chunks of code? Yep.

Note that you can create XML Dashboard widgets, so it would be possible to create a nearly neutral development model once you learned more about Konfabulator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.