Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Submit to Apple

seeshaughnessy

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 - 9:24 am    Post subject: Submit to Apple Reply with quote

I just created a widget and submitted it to Dashboard Widgets- I'd like to put it on the apple website for more people to see, but when I click to submit there are several fields I have to fill out about a company and company website and where the widget is located for download on the company website. I don't have a company and the widget isn't for a company-- I just made it for fun and was wondering how strict they are about these things (all the feilds are required to be filled out) and if there was still a way that I could submit this widget to apple.

Thanks!
jonbrown

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 - 11:49 pm    Post subject: Not very strict Reply with quote

Hi, I have submitted many widgets to Apple, and no they are not very strict, what you have to do, is have an area on your website, or a webpage where your widget is hosted. I have .mac, so all my widgets are hosted there. Then you have to put apples installation guidelines somewhere on your webpage as specified by Apple.

"Installation Guidelines for Developers
So youíve created this incredibly useful Dashboard Widget and you want to share it. Whatís the best way to make it accessible to users? Hereís what you need to know.

To ensure a consistent user experience installing Dashboard widgets, follow these instructions:

Widgets are much less complex than applications and should provide a light-weight install experience. The preferred installation experience is to have widgets delivered in zip archive format and placed on your website for download. Only archive the .wdgt bundle/file itself. When downloaded using Safari it will be automatically unarchived and placed in the userís /Library/Widgets/ folder. Other web browsers will require users to install the widget manually.

Follow these steps to create a zip archive:
Select the widget in the Finder
Choose File > Create Archive
Upload resulting archived widget to your web server
Avoid multi-step installations, registration, and purchasing after the widget is downloaded. If registration, purchase, and the display of an End User License Agreement is required, perform these functions locally on your website prior to download. If itís necessary to communicate with your widget after download, do so using cookies.
Include the instructions below on your widget download page for users to follow:

"Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is required. If youíre using Safari, click the download link. When the widget download is complete, show Dashboard, click the Plus sign to display the Widget Bar and click the widgetís icon in the Widget Bar to open it. If youíre using a browser other than Safari, click the download link. When the widget download is complete, unarchive it and place it in /Library/Widgets/ in your home folder. show Dashboard, click the Plus sign to display the Widget Bar and click the widgetís icon in the Widget Bar to open it."

Once you have followed these, steps, then you will be able to fill in the proper fields. You must have a download page of your own, which is your "Company's Page" even if your not a company that is what this field means. You must have your own widget hosting, they will not post the widget if you dont have your own hosting and no they will not post the widget if its hosted on another widget comuinties website ie: dashboardwidgets.com, I already tried that. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
seeshaughnessy

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 - 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help!!! I really appreciate you taking time to answer my question. I'll follow your instructions and hopefully it'll be up on Apple's site soon. Again, thanks a lot.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.