Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Frustration?

Poll Results: What is your level of coding experience?
Insane! I've been doing this in my sleep for years.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty good, though I still look up the odd thing.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Marginal/learning, so I lean heavily on resources.
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Newbie, but clearly willing to work on it (I am here, after all).
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

purvisa

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 - 9:13 pm    Post subject: Frustration? Reply with quote

I don't know about you folks, but I often get horribly frustrated while coding widgets. True, there always comes a point at which the problem gets solved (often by my spotting some stupid little thing such forgetting, in my haste, to add "()" at the end of a function call or some such minor thing), but it is the time before that that concerns me.

What do each of you do to manage your frustration while coding? Music? Mass murder? Polka?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
islayer

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 - 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JS is an annoying language full stop.
Im a php developer by trade and i do a fair amount of Obj-C these days and they are both much nicer languages

As far as venting frustration...
Music-2pac,biggie...some form of mid 90's rap
I generally watch tv or a movie while im working which is a nice distraction aswell

Right now im watching 'House' DVD's while im doing some php coding
purvisa

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 - 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found that what is working for me (as evidenced by my finally having beaten the code into submission for Shih is this:

TV off (usually I need the background, but it was killing my concentration).
Music off (see above).
Monster Energy Drink at hand.
Late nights.
Dogged determination that I would not be beaten by some heap of "silly-cone diodes."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
islayer

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 - 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if your enjoying what your doing you will get through the tough periods where one bit of code annoys the hell out of you.

Im very relaxed with coding.i work from home which makes it so much nicer and gives you so much freedom compared to working in an office.

So if i get stuck with something i just work on something else for a while and come back to it later

as i said the most important thing is enjoying it.If your not enjoying programming then your going to find it very tedious

One more tip...
if your getting a bit bored throw on a good computer movie such as anti trust,pirates of silicon valley,the net Smile

Always works for me Smile
purvisa

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 - 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Pirates of Silicon Valley. I had not even seen the entire thing before I got the DVD and was floored by the performances.

My problem, as I noted before, is that all of the coding skills I have picked up since the summer of 1980 come from WebMonkey tutorials, O'Reilly references, and SAMS books, plus the odd other web site. I suppose I should not discount the rummaging through other people's code, either.

Long story short (too late), this is all a labor of love. The great part is that it is possible for people like me to develop widgets. I wonder how gadgets will do . . .
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.