Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

have no idea how to make dashboard widgets work...

otterblu

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 - 4:25 pm    Post subject: have no idea how to make dashboard widgets work... Reply with quote

hiyas folks...

could someone please tell me how to make these widgets work?

konfabulator is easy, download and click.. horrrrray...

im pretty puter savvy, but im at a lost as to where to begin to make dashboard widgets work... which btw, from what ive seen, blows konfabulator out of the water...

and o... dont go yakin about widgets period over at flickr... ran my me out of there fast... buttheads...

ok, any help given will be mucho appreciated!

sincerely
kerris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
purvisa

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 - 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet looked into making Konfabulator widgets, though mainly because I have not bothered to learn syntactic differences between XHTML and strict XML. Dashboard should be at least as easy.

First, the basic widget is just what Apple's documentation (see the links page on this site) says: an HTML file, a CSS file, a Javascript file, an XML prooperty list (info.plist), a Default.png (can double as background most times), and an Icon.png (not strictly necessary).

From there, just build a web page that does a task. If you look at some of the simpler widgets here, you will see that they are pretty straight forward dynamic web pages with a couple of special UI enhancements (like flip effects and such).

Now, to answer your post: create a dummy PNG file and name it Default.png. Grab a basic info.plist and customize the bundle identifiers and such to suit your sample. Write a basic HTML file and link to a blank Javascript file and blank CSS file (see other widgets for example lines to do the linking, if you don't already have that know-how). Then start playing a little. Seriously, you can read all of the manuals you like, but you will get the most by playing. It helps to have a simple plan so you have something to shoot for, and when you hit snags, post specific questions here. We'll get responses in quickly.

I have only coded two widgets to release levels, but my code is open source, so you can ctrl-click my widget packages and View Package Contents to see the files to read. Many other widgets are also open source, but I won't volunteer someone else's files for study, as it is not my code to offer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
islayermarc

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 - 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otterblu : The most important question is "are you running OS X 10.4 'Tiget'"?

If the answer is no, then that's why widgets don't run for you.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 - 6:39 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks purvisa

this set me in the right direction...

mucho appreciative

kerris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.