Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

DMX Calculator widget

lightboy

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 - 7:59 pm    Post subject: DMX Calculator widget Reply with quote

Okay for those of you that don't know what DMX is, it is an address you give to a moving light, scroller, or other funky stuff you see in a rock show or dance club, except that girl in the corner dancing by herself.

I have been dabbleing with the code, but can't seem to get it to work because I am lacking the basic skills necessary, I guess.

I would like the widget to have a feel like the following website...
http://www.tega.co.uk/calc.asp?dmx=1

DMX addressing is basically Binary and a conversion of such to be able to tell us lighting guys, which dip switches to Dip.

I don't want any personal gain from this project, except to tell my co-workers that it exists.

Oh yeah one other thing...because of the nature of our work, it would be great to have the widget not need to access the web, sometimes we are stuck in theatres and can't get to proper internet connections.

Thanks in advance.
GB
islayermarc

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 - 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just use OS X's calculator. There might be a calculator widget that shows binary if you *need* it to be in widget form Smile

Here's how:

Note that binary is almost always shown in the reverse order to the way that web site was.

To get your calculator set up like that, choose View>Programmer, then click the "show binary" button.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 - 1:34 pm    Post subject: DMX widget Reply with quote

Hello islayermarc,

I had thought about using the calculator and I think I found either a widget or a calculator that showed binary the right way, but I am really looking for something that is foolproof. The dip switches are a real nice thing to see because then you don't have to really think about binary, only dip 1,3,4,6 for example. Plus, we never need to go above 511, that's the limit of our universe. anything over 511 is in another universe, but with the same dip switch assignment. I think the calculator would be a bit big for what we need.

For us, the dip switches mean the following:

Dip 1=1
2=2
3=4
4=8
5=16
6=32
7=64
8=128
9=256
and then you add them all up and get 511.

Our dip switches are almost always labeled with what they equal (as above)

Here's a better example of what I am looking for.

http://business.virgin.net/tom.baldwin/dmx_calculator2.html?channel=333&binary=101001101

Thanks for you help.
islayermarc

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 - 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Smile

Well in that case, it should be pretty easy to build anyway.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 - 8:24 am    Post subject: DMX widget Reply with quote

So iSlayer, does that mean you can make this for me? I would gladly help in any way possible.

Thanks in advance.
islayermarc

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 - 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point we're flat out on other things Sad

We have about 6 other widgets in development, as well as other projects on the go... sorry.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 - 1:57 pm    Post subject: DMX widget Reply with quote

Okay, after about a week I have an update on this if anyone is interested.

I have made my first widget and will post it soon. This should be a handy little tool for all you Techies in the Theatre biz.
jtbandes

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 - 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it... what exactly is the point of converting a number to binary? What is DMX?
Niles: "I most certainly will not!"
-Frasier
lightboy

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 - 6:40 pm    Post subject: DMX Widget Reply with quote

I really didn't understand at first that DMX was Binary or vice verse, but just to let you know...

In theatre or rock and roll or any other business that has moving lights, "scrollers" or other "intelligent" lighting, those lights require an Address in what is defined as DMX protocol. Let's say I have a moving light that after adding all of my dimmers (makes the lights dim and brighten) I need to set this moving light at an address of 257 because my last dimmer was 256. Now the dip switch configuration, and this is where binary comes in, is a translation of Binary but where 1 is 1, switch 2 is 2, but then it goes on up to switch 9 being worth 256. Now 257 is an easy one, you flip switch 9 and 1 to the ON position and you're set, but if you really don't want to do the math of 256-128-64-. to find let's say, 342.... or look it up in the user manual which usually has a coffee stain across the number you need, then it's great to just type the number in and see the output in a very graphic and easy to yell out to the guy on the scaffold, format as the one I have made.

If you do a google search for DMX you'll find that it is what allows moving lights in clubs, theatres and rock concerts to do the functions you need them to do.

Cheers
jtbandes

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 - 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might give this a try, when would you need it done (because I'm gone for spring break)?
Niles: "I most certainly will not!"
-Frasier
lightboy

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 - 5:55 am    Post subject: dmx Widget Reply with quote

packaging it today, uploading it today or tomorrow.

cheers
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.