Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

Color palette widget that interacts with OS

frivolivolous

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 - 9:33 am    Post subject: Color palette widget that interacts with OS Reply with quote

I would like to be able to click on a color, where ever I see it on my screen and drag it to the dashboard, where hopefully it will display a small splash of the color as well as the hex (and maybe rgb, lab & cmyk) value(s). If anyone wants to do this, I'd be willing to design an image for the palette (like the kind painters use) and maybe a little paint-glob shape for the color splashes.
marcintosh

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 - 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is dragging a color to the Dashboard. What do you drag? How do you let the Finder, or whatever app you're using, know that you don't want to interact with it, but just drag the color value from the cursor location?

You would have to execute some sort of code before you ever enter the Dashboard to let the front most app know it should ignore your click. Hit an f-key or something like that. This would be very tricky programming as you would have to work outside the Dashboard while still interacting with it.

Perhaps a widget could enter some sort of "color grabbing mode" and return a value, but that would require accessing the Dasboard twice. Once to enter that mode and again to get the resulting value. That would be non-intuitive to say the least.

Have you tried DigitalColor Meter? It's in your Utilities folder. No CMYK, but it's pretty handy otherwise.
frivolivolous

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 - 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason why that couldn't be done. Screen-capture utilities do it. Like you said - you would just have to hit a keystroke first. I do realize that it would require a bit of code to interact with the OS, but other widgets have done it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.