Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

"pricing" of widgets

Greenie

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 - 10:14 am    Post subject: "pricing" of widgets Reply with quote

Hi,

there's probably no "right" answer to this (nor a forum, I guess), but:

Someone asked me about the I amount I would demand for doing widgets (javascript-programming, on my part). The idea where to do some kind of newsreader and a widget that shows affirmations on a daily bases.

Besides the fact that there are probably plenty of this kind of widgets already around, I don't really think that any user would pay for such quite simple widgets, especially as the javascript-portion is not too complicated, I'd say. I guess the coding itself wouldn't take more than a few hours, maybe a day or two to "streamline" everything. So I have absolutely no clue what to answer him. What do you think would be a reasonable pricing? Tia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ NumberWidgets
islayermarc

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 - 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much should you charge someone else for building a widget for them? As much as you can (within reason, based on your skills and experience).

How much should you charge for a widget? Nothing unless it's a very exceptional widget that took a long time to create. A VERY long time.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 - 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/whither_art_thou_widgets_now_with_a_price_tag/ for a piece on widgets that people sell. It has a rather lively (spirited? nasty?) set of comments, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
Greenie

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 - 12:59 pm    Post subject: That's exactly my problem...regarding effort Reply with quote

thanks for the comments and that's (in part) what I think, too. I don't see a "market" for relatively simple widgets, besides the fact that it's (almost?) impossible to protect these widgets in any way from copying. So, why should anybody pay for them? If you have a widget requiring Cocoa-plugins then there might be solutions to protect the widgets. But then there's the question why not to release a "real" application.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ NumberWidgets
shadowtech

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 - 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been including paypal donation links on the backs of my widgets. I don't see a better way of trying to make money off them right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
jrath1

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 - 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone every donated?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.