Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Licenses? Permissions? Etc...

Dori

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 - 11:11 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

As some of y'all might know, if you go to Amazon and look for a book on Dashboard, there's one book listed: the one I'm working on. It'll be out sometime after Tiger ships.

I've spent some time on this site looking around, and what I haven't seen is anything about licenses or permissions or copyrights...

My worst case scenario: I show people in the book how to do "Hello World!" and someone who's uploaded a similar widget here assumes that I stole it from him and sues.

My best case scenario: Everything here is GPL'd, and I can use some examples from this site (with explicit credit and links back, of course!) so I don't have to either reinvent the wheel or purposefully avoid doing similar stuff.

As I said, I looked around and haven't seen anything about this issue on this site. I've looked at a bunch of widgets (and if I had a lawyer, he'd be screaming that I shouldn't even admit that) and sometimes there's just a simple copyright, but no licensing scheme.

So, I'm curious: is there a rule of thumb here? Anyone have an opinion? Do I need to download every widget (yikes!) and look for copyright info individually?

And lastly: if you'd like your work in the book, let me know what you're working on and I'll let you know if it fits in with where I'm going. I can be reached at dori (at) dori.com.

Dori Smith
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Chris

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 - 11:11 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Since this site is more of a repository than anything else, there's no overall rule for the widgets hosted. It's up to each author. You'll notice there isn't that many of us, so asking each of us in turn wont take long

Since I write my widgets as more of a hobby than anything else, licensing isn't something I've really thought about. You'll notice I just slap a crude copyright notice at the top...

For me, I don't have a problem with you using anything I've done as long as you give credit etc. They're just stuff I've done in my spare time... Feel free to get in touch with me if you want.

p.s. I've got a tonne of other widgets lying around that aren't quite ready for release you can peruse if you like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Dori

Quoting: Chris OBrien

Feel free to get in touch with me if you want.

And I've done so, 'cause I'd love to include some of your stuff--thanks! Anyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
grabberslasher

I'd say yes but I don't think I have anything worth showing

The only widget really is the one I did with Chris that translates on-the-fly.

Good luck with the book btw.
Dori

Quoting: grabberslasher

Good luck with the book btw.

Thanks!
Walker

Quoting: Dori

My worst case scenario: I show people in the book how to do "Hello World!" and someone who's uploaded a similar widget here assumes that I stole it from him and sues.

Since the source of a gadget is not compiled, it would be easy to check if you copied the source code of someone. If you did copy, than it is a copyright violation. It is not a crime though to have the same idea and I doubt, that anyone here has a software patent on any of his widgets (hope not).

My best case scenario: Everything here is GPL'd,

It clearly is not.

One of my Gadgets is GPL'd, the other ones are not. Everyone is free to study them and learn from them or work together with me on a widget.

I've looked at a bunch of widgets (and if I had a lawyer, he'd be screaming that I shouldn't even admit that) and sometimes there's just a simple copyright, but no licensing scheme.

Looking is not a crime (AFAIK).

Do I need to download every widget (yikes!) and look for copyright info individually?

It would probably be faster and much nicer to contact the author directly and just ask him or her.
Jeremy
Administrator

Dori: As Chris mentioned, there is no overall copyright or license that covers all widgets on the site. The copyright of each widget belongs to the creator/s of it, who would normally specify this in the widget itself, or the accompanying read-me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
bandar

will you include a CD with the book ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Dori

Quoting: Jeremy

As Chris mentioned, there is no overall copyright or license that covers all widgets on the site. The copyright of each widget belongs to the creator/s of it, who would normally specify this in the widget itself, or the accompanying read-me.

Thanks!

Quoting: bandar

will you include a CD with the book ?

Nope. Books that include CDs are obsolete. I prefer to have a web site (such as this one for my JavaScript book) where the code from the book is available for download. It just doesn't make sense any more for people to have to pay several dollars extra for a book that contains a CD with 2 Mb of content when they can download the same (and sometimes updated) content in just a few minutes.
Walker

Nope. Books that include CDs are obsolete. I prefer to have a web site (such as this one for my JavaScript book) where the code from the book is available for download. It just doesn't make sense any more for people to have to pay more for a book that contains a CD with 2 Mb of content when they can download the same content (and sometimes updated content) in a few minutes.

Actually I love the PDF version of the Javascript Bible which come with the CD. Searching the PDF is the fastest and easiest way to find answers in the book. It also includes some additional chapters.
Dori

Quoting: Walker

Actually I love the PDF version of the Javascript Bible which come with the CD. Searching the PDF is the fastest and easiest way to find answers in the book. It also includes some additional chapters.

But what if you were able to download the PDF and pay less for the book? It's the functionality you want, not the physical CD itself, I'll bet.
Chris Bentley

I just used a Creative Commons NonCommercial-ShareAlike licence in the javascript file -- which is pretty much where what makes my widget my widget lives. I seperated Apple's code as much as possible and gave them attribution. Other software licences seemed a little over the top to me.

As a refugee from Hypercard I was kind of assuming the code would just get re-used or at least built apon, which I'm cool with and would encourage. How polite that proccess is? well we'll see -- so far so good.

I think commercial widgets are going to have hooks into some compiled code which should make the reuse thing more controlable for those authors.
Walker

But what if you were able to download the PDF and pay less for the book? It's the functionality you want, not the physical CD itself, I'll bet.

Absolutely. Just how many authors would offer the pdf version of their book (for free?) on a web-site.

If there would be any good pdf e-book reader on the market, I would not even care for the printed version at all.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.