Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Widgets are widgets?

garmp

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 - 4:54 pm    Post subject: Widgets are widgets? Reply with quote

I am totally new to Tiger and the entire widget concept. Got all kinds of excited with my first experience with a widget and loved them. I found many widgets available, but many were of a "Konfabulator" vatiety, (what ever that is). They could do some really neat things, but wouldn't disappear linke the "dashboard" variety. (Hope I'm using the right terms).

My question is: Is there any way to convert the "Konfabulator" eidgets to function (disappear) like the dashboard type?

Next question, being a dumby that I am, How can I get simplified information about creating my own?

Thank you very much.

garmp
galendw

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 - 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi garmp,

First, I should clarify the difference between widgets. There are two types of widgets (at least, that we're concerned about), those for Yahoo!'s Widget Engine (formerly Konfabulator), and those for Mac OS X Tiger's Dashboard. This site deals entirely with widgets for Dashboard.

Widget Engine does have a functionality that is similar to Dashboard where it can make widgets disappear. I would consult the documentation for more information on that one.

As for creating your own widgets, if you want to create a Widget Engine widget, you can visit the Yahoo! Widgets Workshop.

If you want to make a Dashboard widget, check out this site's Links page for some good places to get started. I personally recommend checking out Apple's "Developing Dashboard Widgets Overview" as a good place to get started.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 - 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with galendw all the way here. Apple's documentation is pretty good, and if you have your developer tools installed you will have plenty of samples ready to play with. You can also get the samples directly from Apple.

A few words of caution. First, Apple does not cover every major behavior equally well, so you may have to do a little tinkering to make some things work as you intend. Second, there are a couple minor errors in Apple's documentation code (really subtle stuff). For an example, try making the info button flip animation work. There is one little error at the end of one line, but it throws the entire code off. A basic understanding of Javascript syntax will allow you to spot the problem (I think I have an earlier post about errors, too, but I can't be certain right now).

A little advice for learning widget coding: develop a simple concept and make it happen. Then, add to that concept a little bit. Just make minor enhancements/adjustments along the way until you have some core techniques down.

Comment your code. You can refine comments or eliminate them after everything works, but until you have everything happy, leave every note in your code.

Structure your code, be it HTML, CSS, Javascript, or something else. When you can see the structure clearly, you can optimize file size and performance much more easily later on, and you will save yourself many a headache in debugging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.