Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

The new Dashboard

Chris

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 - 1:21 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/dashboard.html

Wow. Just wow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Walker

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 - 1:21 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Am still downloading. 1:52:54 remaining.
grabberslasher

New Dashboard in latest build (as of today)
cybergoober

No new Dashboard here, either.
wuf810

I've installed the latest Tiger release and sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but its still got the "old" style Dashboard! Shame as I was looking forward to testing and playing....

(unless of course there is something wrong with my install of course!)
Walker

Quoting: Chris OBrien

So this is what I've come up with in an hour... Hope you like it

Nice job!

Regarding the new dashboard, have you tried the latest Tiger release already? I have downloaded it twice but something seem to be wrong with the disc image and I don't want to wast any more DVD-Rs.
Chris

Hello again. I thought I'd get round to a follow up to my last post. The very early stages of a scrollbar object can be found here: http://www.vanillasoap.com/widgets/Scrollbar/scroller.html

I'll be (quite) constantly updating this over the next few days. You'll notice that things are rather shabby (I've been generally drunk whilst writing it), so I'll be looking at the problem properly soon. Any ideas as to how to make something like this as easy as possible to implement are most welcome - I have a few ideas of my own (all of which remove the dependency on global variables), but I'm very much open to suggestions

So this is what I've come up with in an hour... Hope you like it

Oh. Something I'm very much keen on is making the object have arguments like window.open(), where you type them in explicitly (such as showbutton=no etc). Dunno if that's a good idea or not though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Chris

Quoting: Chris Bentley

It is interesting that control objects - scroll bars and pop-up menus -- aren't normal Aqua controls. I'm really hoping that these are actually just controls styled with CSS (which currently is not possible in OS X) and we are not going down the DHTML road of having to build our own controls for widgets.

It would be nice, but I'm in the middle of making reusable objects for just this sort of thing, just incase. Feel free to use them/build upon them once I'm finished
Chris Bentley

It is interesting that control objects - scroll bars and pop-up menus -- aren't normal Aqua controls. I'm really hoping that these are actually just controls styled with CSS (which currently is not possible in OS X) and we are not going down the DHTML road of having to build our own controls for widgets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
A_Bloke

I'm pretty sure it will be.
bandar

i like it...

but i really prefer activating dashboard using a screen corner...

just like expose¥

i do not want to press anything...

using screen corners saves me time
and just think about it...

you have 4 corners...

1- all windows
2- application windows
3- show desktop
4- dashboard...

who needs the screensaver corner!

at least make it an option!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
wuf810

Yes very nice. Much more like a dashboard in its behaviour as well...
esXXI

Amazing to say the least.. It looks FAR better.

The "official" weather widget looks fudging awesome! I'm glad I held Chris back a little from doing one - not much point not since Apple includes one by default.

I love the way it moves the screen up.

I love the way the widget's icon animates to the shape (I can that being somewhat tricky with oddly shaped widgets..).

I love the Dashboard icon (to those who are a bit confused; you don't HAVE to have the icon on your dock, only if you want to click instead of pressing F12).
IanTheMacFan
No longer registered

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 - 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the difference between the "old" and "new" dashboards?? Question
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 - 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing back an old thread? Razz

They're referring to different versions of Dashboard found in various pre-release builds of Tiger. There has only been one version released to the general public.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.