Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Virus!

paulhigg

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 - 5:13 pm    Post subject: Virus! Reply with quote

I JUST downloaded and tried to unzip the new widget called "Countabout." When I unzipped it my EXCELLENT Intego virus software told me it has a virus in it. BEWARE!!
pm
Administrator

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 - 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The widget has been removed from the site pending our investigation. However, our preliminary findings do not point to the presence of any kind of malicious code, simply two included applications that appear to manage licensing (it's a commercial widget). Just the same, that will be verified before the widget is allowed back on the site.
paulhigg

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 - 6:20 pm    Post subject: Widget with possible virus. Reply with quote

Well, when you checked it did you use a virus scanning program? This was the first and omly time Intego gave me a warning on a file as it unzipped. I have used Intego for at least a year.
I'm running an Intel iMac 2.0 dual core, 2 GHz, 1. GB RAM.

Paul
pm
Administrator

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 - 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

False positives happen. There has never been a true Mac virus in the wild and I find it a bit strange for someone to choose a widget as the means of distribution for the first. Just the same, we're investigating but I can't imagine someone working as hard as they must have to create this widget (it's relatively complex) for the widget to only be a carrier for malware that doesn't do any damage.

Your virus scanner probably saw an unusual executable file that installs itself and connects to the internet, which it thought was a virus. Now, I think having a widget install an application to manage licenses without telling the user is likely the wrong way to go about developing a widget but I doubt it's anything more than that.
paulhigg

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 - 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I can go with that. Lemme know if you discover anything.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 - 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have concluded our inquiry into the matter and, after carefully examining bundled plugins and applications as well as reviewing detailed technical documentation provided by the developer, we have determined that the widget does not contain malicious code and therefore poses no risk to your system.

It is simply a rather advanced commercial widget that uses Cocoa applications for licensing purposes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.