Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

MLB scores widget

gocards44

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 - 5:40 pm    Post subject: MLB scores widget Reply with quote

I'm about to be a freshman at college and I'm a diehard A's fan and want a widget to track them when I'm away. I'm going to try to develop it myself, it'll teach me about computers and whatnot. I was wondering what XML websites I can go to that automatically refresh, so I can get A's scores from the Internet for my widget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
daylate

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 - 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you locate a source for XML sports schedules and scores, please let me know.

Conference Call OMNI makes do with scrubbing information from HTML at FOXSports.com, and it's a pain to maintain. The HTML isn't as well-suited as it might be for this kind of thing (a conveniently-placed "id" tag or two would really help), and subtle changes at the site --usually at the beginning or end of a season-- break the widget.

I'm seeking a new data source with better HTML formatting (and/or a sympathetic web manager willing to add in those "id" tags), but I've had no success. An XML data source would be ideal, of course, but I think sports web sites have a vested interest in not providing such easy access to the information.
gocards44

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 - 8:17 pm    Post subject: found ESPN's... Reply with quote

I found ESPN's MLB but it's worse than the Foxsports one...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/bottomline/xml/scores

if we could write stats.com or mlb.com and ask them to put something up would tehy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
daylate

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 - 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stats.com makes its money by licensing its data to places like FOXSports.com. They're unlikely to make it available for free. I'm sure the MLB/NFL/NHL/etc have similar reasons for not having easily-accessible XML feeds; I mean, these organizations are exceptionally rabid about protecting the distribution rights to their stuff. (In fact, I once received a cease-and-desist letter from an organization that works for them, claiming that I was making unauthorized use of trademarked team logos.)

I've considered licensing data directly from Stats.com myself, but I've never bothered to write to them for their rates. (Frankly, I'm hesitant to call attention to myself, for fear that they'll shut down Conference Call OMNI for unauthorized redistribution of their info or something.) Besides, this would only be a viable strategy if I could count on CCO users to sign on to a subscription from me to cover the costs of the license, but I just don't see that happening.
twisted

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 - 8:07 pm    Post subject: scoreboard Reply with quote

soo if i'm right... you want to make a widget to track the daily score of A's games? Have you tried using scoreboard?
I think it might be along the lines of what your looking for. You can select to show only A's scores on the back of the widget.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.