Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

Daily Polaroid photos of mine, anyone make it a widget?

marquisdupre

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 - 2:52 pm    Post subject: Daily Polaroid photos of mine, anyone make it a widget? Reply with quote

Hello,
I am very excited - I just purchased a new Mac PowerBook, and am getting into the Mac OSX world (I was previously still on OS9x, starving artist who couldn't afford a new computer until now) and have discovered the power of widgets!
I have a a blog, and post 1 Polaroid photo each day, for 365 days, and wondered how difficult it would be, for someone to create a widget, that loads the daily Polaroid photo into it every day? Does anyone want to let me know what is involved, if it's something that someone wants to easily create for me? My blog site is: http://www.apolaroidaday.com Or if anyone knows of an easily downloadable app that can create a widget for you, I can program it myself. If this is anything like the blogging community, I have found that instead of writing from scratch, that someone has probably already created a widget for a daily photo, and all I would need to do is to customize it for myself. Any information would be MUCH appreciated! I am on day 41 of my blog photo postings, and would love to have this to share with the community of Mac OSX users! Thanks!
keilly

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 - 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be one of the easiest widgets.....

So the photo will already be hosted on you blog page right?
Make sure the image has a well defined address:

i.e. it's always: www.yoursite.com/yourblog/photooftheday.jpg

or the new photos have easy to reproduce urls:

www.yoursite.com/yourblog/photooftheday01012006.jpg
www.yoursite.com/yourblog/photooftheday01022006.jpg
etc

A widget is really just a webpage. So create a html file containing a page with only an image tag pointing to the image.

Test the webpage in Safari - you can even add a nice polaroid border background if your widget doesn't have one.

PAckage it according to the apple dashboard developers guide (fairly easy) and voila!

You'll need to do some minimal javascript to set the image address number if you go with the incremental numbering system. Maybe save this for v2.
meowza

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 - 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the key is going to be naming the images accordingly. You could easily do it by naming the photos numerically by the day number, 1-365 + year. Then have the Javascript access the date + .jpg or what not.

If you'd be willing to set a consistant format for the image names I'm sure you'd get a number of design/widget submissions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
marquisdupre

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 - 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my blog: http://fragment.biz/WordPress/ or http://www.apolaroidaday.com and see the format that I am doing, I am numbering the files like oo1-NameOfPicture.jpg and I post them that way. I do know that in my rss feeder that I only get the posted photo, the title, and whatever I post after the photo. Not sure if the different name for each posting causes a problem or not. I have seen 2 other widgets that have daily photos, one is space photos, and another is photos of plants/flowers.
Thanks for the replies - any more help/information would be appreciated.
meowza

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 - 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the widget isn't going to be able to access the particular name for each widget so you'd have to do as keilly said and give them an easy URL to find or have the latest image kept in a seperate place on your server and always have it named "latestphoto.jpg" or similar. Then just point the widget at that address and have it refresh the image daily to show the new one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
marquisdupre

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 - 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, should be very easy for me to save my daily photos as their normal name, then save as you suggested as "dailyphoto.jpg" or something like that, then it can access it. I have been trying to learn how to use Dashcode and since there isn't a reall tutorial on it, its making it challenging for me. I want to learn it because it seems to be a very powerful tool. Anyone interested in making an easy widget for my daily photos and then sharing it to me to see what you did? I tried making a "custom" one in the program, and couldn't understand what was going on. I tried the blog template, and for some reason it got buggy on me after I tested the widget for the first time (I just typed in my RSS address into it) but am going to keep stabbing at it until I get something I can proudly deploy. Any help, again, is most appreciated. Just let me know what you would need from me. Cheers!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.