Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

Pandora / PandoraFM widget?

uselessness

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 - 4:47 pm    Post subject: Pandora / PandoraFM widget? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Here's a request for a quality Pandora widget. Pandora is a free music recommendation service that streams music it "thinks you'll like" through a Flash applet. I love it but don't like running a browser window with it open just to listen. It's a popular site and I've heard others complain about this too, but there has been no official response.

A Swedish developer (jrc) created a Pandora widget which is a nice first step but it's plagued with problems:

1. It's enormous!
2. It's largely unresponsive to mouseovers or clicks, apparently due to a bug in Dashboard's implementation of Flash apps.
3. Ads. I've never seen anybody attempt to put (irrelevant) banner ads in a widget before.

Essentially, this widget works but only just barely. There is tons of room for improvement for a capable developer.

My suggestions -- besides fixing the glitchy parts -- are as follows:

1. The smallest possible footprint. If it's possible to use Pandora through a third-party interface, create one stripped to the bare essentials... playback buttons, volume slider, station-selection menu, and the ability to thumbs-up-or-down. If we must use Pandora's flash applet, can it be scaled down to smaller dimensions?

2. Integration with Last.fm. If it's at all possible to track songs heard through the widget, I'd love it. I'm not sure about the mass appeal of this particular feature, but considering the popularity of PandoraFM, there are a number of people who think it's a good idea.

Apparently both Pandora and Last.fm offer APIs, to a certain degree anyway, that you can tap into. Here's hoping that somebody on this forum is intrigued enough by the idea to figure it out. I wish I was more savvy to tackle a project like this; I'd do it myself!

Any takers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.