Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Help with .ASX stream

DataStorm

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 - 5:11 am    Post subject: Help with .ASX stream Reply with quote

I'm trying to develop my first widget, so please bear with me and don't start flaming me if this question is stupid.

Trying to develop a little radio station playing widget, but it needs to play a .ASX stream.

When I listen to this through Firefox it uses the Flip4Mac plugin to play it. But with my widget what Mime type will I need to specify in the EMBED tag ?

From looking around the web some places say video/x-ms-asf, or application/x-mplayer2, but others I have seen use video/quicktime ?

I'm a little confused, is there a correct answer for this ? Obviously I want to make the widget as compatible as possible.

Thanks in advance,

J
filipp

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 - 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help with .ASX stream Reply with quote

DataStorm wrote:
But with my widget what Mime type will I need to specify in the EMBED tag

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288102

Just as a thought, what happens if you just download the .asx file (it's just a text file with the media links) and try to open it with widget.system ('/usr/bin/open myfile.asx', null);
timglenn

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 - 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on a radio widget as well and have noticed some lag with Flip4Mac as a plugin. If you use the QTSRC attribute of your EMBED tag you will not need a MIME type attribute as the QTSRC attribute automatically recognizes the source's mime-type and uses FLIP4MAC or WMP..

The problem I am having is Play/Pause and long pauses lose my connection from the radio station. Also when I select a channel to start playing the plugin pauses the entire widget until its loaded. Does anyone know how to avoid reloading the EMBED tag?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.