Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

I can't figure out Popup Buttons (Dashcode)

ifthensoftware

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 - 11:57 am    Post subject: I can't figure out Popup Buttons (Dashcode) Reply with quote

I'm trying to use Dashcode to make a simple popup button that will allow the user to choose from 2 different images--for example, the menu would say "Image 1" and "Image 2" and when the user selects the item from the popup menu, it will populate the image into an image field. I just don't understand where to put the information into the popup button in Dashcode.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
meowza

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 - 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way they work is that you simply create a regular popup button, the grey/blue one, and put it on top of the buttons you create/Dashcode provides and then set the transparency to 0.0. I don't think Apple has created any other way to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
purvisa

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 - 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me, or is Dashcode getting in the way of widget creation as much as (or more than) it's helping?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
meowza

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 - 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's quite helpful for debugging and locating exactly where something is going wrong other than that it's going to greatly decrease the originality of things. I can understand using it too quickly create something to use personally, but it's going to mean 80,000 widgets that all look identical and offer nothing new.

But, on the other hand, they are giving a lot of people their first intro into programming and really bringing it down to a level that most people can understand. Albeit in a confusing sort of way.
purvisa

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 - 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have always appreciated a good editor with no ties to the finished product. When I see web pages vomited out by WYSIWYG editors, I just shake my head in wonder.

What amazes me about widgets, however, is that shrinking the size of files can actually increase the RAM demands. In one case, I cut my CSS and Javascript files by 25% each, retaining every piece of functionality, and the darn widget snatched an extra MB of RAM after that.

Go figure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
Nic

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 - 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you change the text on a Dashcode popup button?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Nic

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 - 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I found it. If anyone was wondering, you change the document.getElementById("buttonid").object.textElement.innerHTML value
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Greenie

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 - 12:04 pm    Post subject: Dashcode-beta is quite crappy, imho... :-( Reply with quote

Sorry to have to say this, but upto now I don't really see how DashCode could speed up Widget-creation. Almost nothing is really intuitive in this app, the documentation is more than poor (okay, I guess we can hope that it will be better in the final product) and adding/editing interactive elements like Popup-buttons is no fun at all, rather a pain in the a..., if you ask me. Sorry to be that rude, but I am so disappointed of Dashcode upto now. For now, a simple texteditor is still my favourite Development-Environment. One can only hope that Dashcode will be better (far better!) when finished. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ NumberWidgets
CreativeInsanity

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 - 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Apple, they do say beta and they also say "cut down version" so it runs on 10.4.x.
So really I think some posters should wait till Leopard comes out with the full version of dashcode before making comments.
ianfmc

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 - 1:14 pm    Post subject: Edit Popup choices in the HTML Reply with quote

I think an easier way to change the text of the popup menu items is to actually edit the html. If you change from the Workflow to the Files view, you can see the html files listed. Look for any option tags, and edit the text there. Looks like that's how it's done with the 'professional' widgets, anyway...hope that helps.
flamingmonk

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 - 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem populating a popup button from an array. How did you get it to work? Can you post an example?

Thanks!

Nic wrote:
Nevermind, I found it. If anyone was wondering, you change the document.getElementById("buttonid").object.textElement.innerHTML value
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.