Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

Dashcode

Poll Results: Do you like Dashcode?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
No
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Never Tried
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

ahanmal

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 - 7:41 pm    Post subject: Dashcode Reply with quote

Dashcode is very good for making dashboard widgets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
islayermarc

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 - 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JS debugging is awesome. I'm not sure we'll use Dashcode though... it just doesn't suit everything we need.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 - 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'No'.

However...
Personally, I love DashCode. I played with it for hours, and have developed new betas of my widgets with simplicity. But I am afraid. Afraid of all the widgets that will come from it.

Go to the showcase section of DashboardWidgets and click Counters. Half of those widgets were clearly made using DashCode. Go to Apple's Widgets site, and look and the counters. Even more of them are made with DashCode.

I don't mind if you make a widget in DashCode. But please don't use the template, and just change the content. When DashCode is on every Mac, widgets will all become like this. People that don't know what they are doing will be making widgets like crazy, and the few good widgets will be hidden by all the garbage.

DashCode is a great program but will be the death of widget developers.

-hockey2891
Administrator

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 - 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope we won't find them in Counters here, but rather under Date and Time.
hockey2891

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 - 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermac99 wrote:
I would hope we won't find them in Counters here, but rather under Date and Time.

Thats what I ment. Wink

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 - 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love debugging with it! Being able to just press run and have your widget appear on your desktop is awesome.
The js debugger is nice! I've been wanting to use breakpoints with js for the longest time.

Yes, it will cause in influx in crappy counters, but the widgets everybody will be scrambling for are the ones coded by hand by people in this community. WYSIWYG can never compare to good old-fashioned hand coding!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.