Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Looking for some info

MagicBez

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 - 10:19 am    Post subject: Looking for some info Reply with quote

Hey there,

First look at the world of dashboard widgets (besides using them). I'm looking to build a couple of RSS based widget for a site trouble being they require a username etc to be unique for each users feed.

From what I've seen this means I'll be needing values to be put in on the backside and saved for later use. I have a few questions that I've not been able to find answers to yet.

If I use the RSS template widget and add in a saveprefs function to store the data like so,
Code:

widget.setPreferenceForKey(document.getElementById("textbox").value,"textbox");

Can I then add that on to the RSS URL specified in the attributes section like so,
Code:

function getFeedSource()
{
   var url = attributes.feedURL;
        var username=widget.preferenceForKey("username");

if (url) {
      url = url.replace(/^feed:\/\//, "");
      if (url.substring(0,7).toLowerCase() != "http://") {
         url = "http://" + url + "?user=" + username;
      }
   }
   return url;
}

Is it possible to have the widget auto-flip to the back if the preferances aren't set?

Thanks for any advice/help!
[/code]
EricWood

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 - 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy!
depending on how you implemented the flipping, just call whatever method is used to flip it over if a certain criteria isn't met.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
MagicBez

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 - 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool cool, shouldn't be a problem. I'm using the default RSS widget template so that should be fine.

Is it possible to have the RSS reader resize vertically to fit content?? Or have the ability to drag it out to the size you want?

I've had a poke around the Apple Address Book widget as it has a resize button in the lower right, but I can't replicate it on the RSS widget.

Thanks
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.