Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Access Local Data

givemefire

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 - 3:12 pm    Post subject: Access Local Data Reply with quote

I searched the forums but I couldn't find how I can access local data? For example if I'm making a dictionary and I need my database to be distributed with the widget and not to be loaded from a web server. Any help will be appreciated! 10x
Greenie

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 - 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

there are two ways to access local data (afaik).

1) XMLHttpRequest: This way you can read local-files, also, not only from a webserver. You certainly have to modify existing sample-code as you don't get all the response regarding status and errors as you would get from a server.

2) "widget.system"-command. This way you can call unix-shell-commands for read and write-access. If you'd ask me, I'd prefer calling the local php-interpreter, invoked with a php-script as a paramter. If you're no unix-geek I guess it is the easiest way as php is far better documentend and consistent (imho) than also virtually zillions of obscure unix-commands.

There has been a thread about this just a few days ago. Maybe this will be of help:

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2351&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ NumberWidgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.