Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Embed Widget on Website?

ArtOfWarfare

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 - 2:03 pm    Post subject: Embed Widget on Website? Reply with quote

Alright... I'd like to take my super smash bros. countdown widget and embed it on a website. How do I do this? I'm wondering if there is some way to copy, paste, and rearrange, the different files so it would work...

Or is it just impossible...?
gesiwuj

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 - 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but as far as I can see, it's impossible.

Dashboard widgets, although coded using standard web technologies like xhtml/css/javascript, they also rely a lot on Apple's widget library and several technologies like that.

Everytime you reference "widget.whatever" then that's referencing Apple's proprietary widget library; and on top of that, some things are also Safari-only.

On the positive side, though, it probably won't be *too* much of a stretch to reprogram it to a website (by removing widget-only stuff like flipping to the back and preferences; replacing them with cookies etc.).

But no, a normal widget package would not just work off the bat on a webpage.
bpdp

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 - 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to do a re-write (but shouldn't take too long) - look into sites like clearspring to help deploy it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.