Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Widget Won't Launch: CFBundleVersion?

mbcook

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 - 11:33 am    Post subject: Widget Won't Launch: CFBundleVersion? Reply with quote

I'm going nuts trying to fix this. It's my first widget. The code is fine, it opens in Safari, generates no warnings, etc. It's just HTML right now.

My widget loads far enough to show the default image, but never progresses past that. Command-R doesn't work. When opened in Dashcode and I click run, it starts and exits immediately without ever showing. Dashcode is able to interpret everything correctly showing things placed correctly, etc.

I have two clues to this. One is I am occaisionally getting "CFBundleVersion must be a string" errors. I can't seem to get that fixed. When run through Dashcode, the error in the console is "failed to create startup object".

I thought it wasn't finding the HTML file, but when the file is removed or renamed Dashboard complains the widget is invalid, which doesn't happen when the HTML file matches the name in the plist... so I'm not thinking that's it.

Now my PList file is fine (I think), it's generated by the property list editor. Dashcode has no problem reading it. Here is what I have for bundle version:

Code:
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>1.0.1</string>

I have tried "1", "1.0", "0.1", "1.0.1", "00001.00.01.00", "1.0b", and probably others. I'm clearly missing something somewhere, but I don't know what and it's driving me nuts. Can someone give me some kind of hint?

Here is my full PList file, just for reference:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>AllowFileAccessOutsideOfWidget</key>
   <true/>
   <key>AllowFullAccess</key>
   <true/>
   <key>AllowInternetPlugins</key>
   <true/>
   <key>AllowJava</key>
   <true/>
   <key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
   <true/>
   <key>AllowSystem</key>
   <true/>
   <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
   <string>Blah Widget</string>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.blah.widget.BlahWidget</string>
   <key>CFBundleName</key>
   <string>Blah Widget</string>
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>1.0.1</string>
   <key>CloseBoxInsetX</key>
   <integer>16</integer>
   <key>CloseBoxInsetY</key>
   <integer>16</integer>
   <key>Height</key>
   <integer>320</integer>
   <key>MainHTML</key>
   <string>widget.html</string>
   <key>Width</key>
   <string>427</string>
</dict>
</plist>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
izidor78

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 - 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

I've the same problem with a widget that I've made. My widget work in Dashcode but don't in Dashboard !

When I try to deploy my widget to dashboard, my widget doesn't work.

In the Console application, I can also see the next error : "CFBundleVersion must be a string"

Have any idea ?
mbcook, Did you fix your problem ?
mbcook

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 - 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I got it fixed. I managed to end up talking to someone who knew what to look for.

My problem ended up rather obscure. I had a folder in my widget called "resources", which conflicts with something in the way bundles are loaded. Removing the folder allowed me to continue development.

I don't know if this will help you, my problem was rather obscure.

Does your widget launch at all in Dashcode? My problem was that it would launch and IMMEDIATELY quit. When loading in Dashboard, it would freeze on the default image.

Now since I had this problem, I've noticed one other thing. When you choose "Deploy to Dashboard", things don't seem to update immediately. To get Dashboard to fully reload the widget, I'd have to wait a while. After that period (0.5 to 1 hour, but I was doing other things at the time) it would load up just fine. This only applied to launch problem though, other changes could be picked up immediately.

It's all very weird. I've got to say that once I got past this problem my development took off, but I've found the development environment to be very unfriendly. It just doesn't report errors well. I can also say I'm not very fond of Dashcode either.

My other suggestion is to make sure your Info.plist file is correct. It should open up in the property list editor without any problems.

If these suggestions don't help, just reply with anything else you can tell me. I'll try to help you, but I've been fighting all this stuff too. I'm no expert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
izidor78

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 - 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mbcook,

Thanks for your response and for your help !
Unfortunatly, I can't fix my problem.

- My info.plist seem fine, I can open it without problem with the property list editor.

- I have not twice the same folder.

- Not problem in Dashcode, Only in Dasboard.

In Dashboard, my widget freeze on the Defaut image and nothing else appear. Whereas the widget should go up a list of podcasts.

For your information :
This widget use AJAX technology to load podcast and quicktime player to play podcast.

Thanks again for your help.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.