Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

not at a mac right now

thewilson

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 - 8:14 pm    Post subject: not at a mac right now Reply with quote

I'm using an applescript and javascript backend to a widget I'm working on. One of the tasks is gathering data from an excel worksheet and some web sites. I have setup and successfully gathered the data from the websites but since I'm writing the function on windows cant test it. If I refrain from activating excel should dashboard remain active?

Code:

on getValue(arange)
tell application "excel"
   try
      set myvalue to formula of range(arange)
      on error
      set myvalue to "Error debug me"
   end try
end tell
return myvalue
end getValue

I'm pretty sure it will but since I searched so hard for this and never found any results this may serve for others.
thewilson

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 - 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well my applescript was sloppy but yes for those of you wondering the internet scouring for an answer. If you don't activate the application it wont exit dashboard. My specific problem was gathering data from multiple websites and then accessing some data from excel and then processing it all tossing it into a data base and spit back a summary. Still working on it but i've tried multiple applications and have been able to keep them from causing dashboard to exit.

Next on the list is creating these windows small and out of the way so that the user doesnt see alot of noise on their desktop Very Happy

This site seems like it has potential where is everyone?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.