Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Trying to Develop a Good Japanese Dictionary Widget

kikuchiyo

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 - 4:10 pm    Post subject: Trying to Develop a Good Japanese Dictionary Widget Reply with quote

I'm a PC user (I know, I don't like it) at home and I use Macs at the office. I'm planning to study in Japan for a year and I'm going to buy an iBook or Powerbook for that.

I have a useful little program on the PC, the Free Lang dictionary (http://www.freelang.net/) program I use to look up Japanese. You can enter Japanese in romanji (romanized Japanese) and get English, or English to get Japanese. It uses Jim Breen's dictionary (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/edict.html). It's basically just a dictionary which will allow you to switch the input word from english or japanese. I might use Breen's most updated EDICT file, since I want to avoid using romanji, even though the Free Lang program does.

I was hoping to port this small app as a widget. My office has the SDK and Tiger builds and I think I can get something running (when I find some free time!) but I can't get do graphics at all.

I was also hoping to try something more ambitious, using the kanji dictionary at Breen's site, after I get this one working.

I would apperciate any advice or help anyone could offer. Thank you so much!
globalvillager

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 - 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm planning to make such a widget myself. I'd like it to have not only word lookup but kanji and radical lookup as well...all querying the excellent WWWJDIC. Don't have the SDK though and have not started. Anyway, I'd be happy to collaborate!
apostrophe

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 - 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kikuchiyo!

PM Sent
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.