Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Suggestion Box for Developers

scotton

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 7:55 pm    Post subject: Suggestion Box for Developers Reply with quote

I am not a developer, but there are some nice widgets I could really use. Also, I am not running tiger yet, so if some of my suggestions are redundent I apologize...

Basically if someone could recreate all the items in Watson, it would be a life saver...(since they don't make it anymore)

(in order of importance (to me anyway))

TV Guide Listings
Image Finder (but more in depth - search getty images etc.)
Package tracker (ups, fedex, usps, dhl, R&L, Airborn, etc.)
Movie Finder!!! (awesome tool on watson, much better than sherlock)
White Pages (phone #, reverse lookup, address lookup, zip code, etc.)
RecipeSource
Ebay Auctions

A widget that is a web page with auto refresh for sites with active content, but not rss feeds - refresh rate to be set by user.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY IDEAS???

~Spencer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those ideas Spencer! I haven't the foggiest as to how to make one - but I'm going to try my hand in it and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the awesome ideas - any more guys? Smile

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
LarryISKewl

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattf wrote:
any more guys? Smile

-m

Yeah, if you run ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) a widget that gives your a small window of the computer you are 'observing' instead of having to open ARD and click observe and have this huge window. Then a button that opens ARD if you want to see a bigger preview.

-Larry
pourhadi
Administrator

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamthefed wrote:
A widget for quick FTPing

That would be awesome.
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome as a finder service. Click on the file, go to FTP, choose from a list of favourite servers and specify a path and off you go. Very Happy

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamthefed wrote:
What can I say? I'm a visionary Very Happy

Star

-m
Chris

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamthefed wrote:

Hi there. I've made a widget that allows you to specify the server, username, pass and initial path on the back and then you just drag the files onto the front in order for them to be uploaded.

It doesn't bother with downloading or listing files on the server, since the finder can do that for you - this one is purely a very quick, easy and accessible way of getting a bunch of files onto the server.

Does that fit the bill?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
henryhbk

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 8:48 am    Post subject: Widget for FTP Reply with quote

2 things: It should also have a switch for ftp/sftp

Second, I didn't think you were supposed be able to interact with the finder when a widget was up (like expose). This is very interesting, how does that work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
schwatoo

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
iamthefed wrote:

Hi there. I've made a widget that allows you to specify the server, username, pass and initial path on the back and then you just drag the files onto the front in order for them to be uploaded.

Want to post that one here? I'd like to see how you got drag & drop working.
Chris

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Widget for FTP Reply with quote

henryhbk wrote:
2 things: It should also have a switch for ftp/sftp

Second, I didn't think you were supposed be able to interact with the finder when a widget was up (like expose). This is very interesting, how does that work?

Yes, that's right - you can't interact with the finder whilst the dashboard layer is showing. That's not what this widget is for. If you want to get things from a server, then I've presumed you can just use the finder. If, however, like me, you tend to generally just put things on the server (images, web pages etc) then this provides a very easy way for you to do it. I use it all the time, in fact. Wink
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm tasty - I want it!

-m
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload it here, Chris!
Chris

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermac99 wrote:
Upload it here, Chris!

Yeah, sure. It needs to have a face lift, but the coding's all done.
MacMedic

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 - 11:25 pm    Post subject: Wanted: Widget to check remaining minutes on cell phone plan Reply with quote

to find the minute remaining for the month, I have to go to sprintpcs.com, login and go to the accounts page. It would be awful nice to have this updating automatically on a widget.

Just FYI, the konfabulator widgets I have up all the time are: weather, to do list, a red CPU dot with percentage used in the dot, "King of the CPU" which shows the top app for CPU usage and "Queen of the CPU" which shows the top app for memory consumption. LyricScraper is also a favorite.
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 - 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted: Widget to check remaining minutes on cell phone Reply with quote

MacMedic wrote:
to find the minute remaining for the month, I have to go to sprintpcs.com, login and go to the accounts page. It would be awful nice to have this updating automatically on a widget.

Just FYI, the konfabulator widgets I have up all the time are: weather, to do list, a red CPU dot with percentage used in the dot, "King of the CPU" which shows the top app for CPU usage and "Queen of the CPU" which shows the top app for memory consumption. LyricScraper is also a favorite.

I like that Sprint idea - but sadly I have Verizon, and some other people have Cingular/AT&T (unfortunately Verizon has the only halfway decent coverage in these parts - so I kind of have little to no choice for my carrier). I think the biggest thing for developers with their widgets is to cover functionality for all sorts of areas. e.g. the multiple carriers for mobile minutes, a package tracker with FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. - just my thoughts. Smile

-m
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next