Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Java in Widgets

itod

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 1:23 am    Post subject: Java in Widgets Reply with quote

Okay, I'll tempt fate by asking about support for another language in Dashboard... Java!

So it seems obvious that the usual Java Applet support will be in Dashboard just like Safari... That doesn't interest me much, as I think DHTML is a better user-interface solution for web-browser rendering engines than Applets (due to performance, NOT the API, which is far better in Java, but admittedly more complicated).

I'm curious as to whether it will be possible to interface with Java for the types of operations you would interface with Obj-C. Systems-level stuff to provide integration of your widget into the filesystem, os, rdbms, etc.

Any details? Please don't flame me for asking if you can do this with Java... I fully intend to do as much with JavaScript as possible in my Dashboard development, as I am _very_ comfortable with that language, and actually very fond of it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want an interface to a modern system-level language with garbage collection, etc, like Java or Python rather than C++ or Obj-C. (although why you would want to use PHP is beyond me!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
schwatoo

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A widget is essentially just another webpage so in theory it should load Java just like any other page.

I think it all depnds on how apple has set the security model up. There are security issues concerning rnning Objective-C modules.

If the Java security model isn't too paranoid in Dashboard then it might make a great language for widgets...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.