Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

My Widgets

islayer

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 - 5:14 pm    Post subject: My Widgets Reply with quote

Hey,
ive been lurking around here for a while and ive decided its time i share what im working on.

Most of the things im doing right now are Australian widgets.

The first one is a Tv Guide widget.
i have been working on this for several weeks and its nearing the end.It only has Australian support for now.the basic concept is that you install the widget.the first time its run it downloads several days worth of feeds and stores them in your user library.the widget is designed to show the current and new two shows for each channel.channels can be added and removed.
The Widget has EyeTv support so you can click on a little "eye" logo next to each show and it will add it to you eyetv Scheduling application.
Feeds are automatically updated twice a week.I used this method to make it Dial-Up friendly and to make the widget alot faster since it doesnt have to download feeds all the time.
You can see a screenshot of an earlier build here
http://www.appletalk.com.au/widgets/tvguide.jpg
I hope to have a final build sometime next week.

I Also did a fortune cookie widget several weeks ago before i found out apple had made one.
its a simple design and has 45000 fortunes/joke/quotes in it.
Screenshto here http://www.appletalk.com.au/widgets/fortune_black.jpg

Next is a package tracker.it allows you to choose a courier and enter the tracking number and it display info on where you package uis.Its limited to Australian couriers so far but im working to add support for UPS,USPS and fedex very soon.

I have other widgets in the works but that all ill share for now Smile
Jeremy
Administrator

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 - 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the Aussie TV Guide widget Very Happy

I wonder why you have the channels in that order though? Wouldn't it make more sense to go ABC, Seven, Nine, 10, SBS?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
giggleguy

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 - 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you Australian Jeremy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Jeremy
Administrator

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 - 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giggleguy wrote:
are you Australian Jeremy?

100% Aussie (mate).
trinket

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 - 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - this thread is old. I just wanted to comment on the iSlayer widgets.

I loved world TV and AusTV - great widgets that I would often use. I am extremely disappointed with ICETV because I don't agree with the subscription fee that has to be paid to the people at IceTV. This has left a sour taste in my, and other people's mouths, and I don't think I want to download another iSlayer widget again. Sorry dude...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
jtbandes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 - 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Widgets Reply with quote

islayer wrote:
Next is a package tracker.it allows you to choose a courier and enter the tracking number and it display info on where you package uis.Its limited to Australian couriers so far but im working to add support for UPS,USPS and fedex very soon.

Is this like the Package Tracker widget by Monkey Business Labs? http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=123
islayer

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 - 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trinket wrote:
I know - this thread is old. I just wanted to comment on the iSlayer widgets.

I loved world TV and AusTV - great widgets that I would often use. I am extremely disappointed with ICETV because I don't agree with the subscription fee that has to be paid to the people at IceTV. This has left a sour taste in my, and other people's mouths, and I don't think I want to download another iSlayer widget again. Sorry dude...

Well here is my reponse to that...
The IceTV widget is not one of ours.It belongs to IceTV.We had no choice but to discontinue WorldTV and we were lucky IceTV was there to replace it.

Yes we made it but thats all we did.They asked us to develop it, we did and the rest is up to them.

The subscription fee is only if you want advanced stuff.If you want WorldTV's features its completly free.

You cant blame us for this as its not our widget.

All of OUR widgets are completly free.
We pride ourselves on making the finest widgets around and we have recieved alot of recognition for doing this-Including a full page article in the 2 largest newspapers in Austrialia

If your not going to use our widgets id hope its because they are not useful to you and not because of the IceTV situation which we have no control over
islayermarc

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 - 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trinket wrote:

Seriously, that's a pretty low thing to say. Ok, let's clear up some very important points.

#1 - IceTV does more than WorldTV ever did... FOR FREE. If you want some of the advanced stuff, then you have to pay. Not pay us, but pay IceTV, because they provide the service. They have a team of people that type in the TV guide and the descriptions. It's up to you if you think it's good value, but it's fair enough that they get something for your use of the TV guide. Once again... IT'S FREE FOR THE 1 DAY GUIDE!

#2 - We have developed at least 20 widgets so far... all for free (not all are listed on our site). They take a fair bit of time each. We've also had to source good hosting that can handle the traffic. Initially that cost us a fair bit. We get a MASSIVE amount of hits to our site. Hosting isn't free buddy.

#3 - It's up to you if you wish to use our widgets. I can't and am not going to try and convince you otherwise, but I find it a bit rich that you insult our IceTV efforts. We've been developing the thing non-stop since before Tiger was released. Even IF we wanted to charge for it, I think it'd be totally justified.

I look forward to your response.
islayermarc

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 - 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: My Widgets Reply with quote

jtbandes wrote:
islayer wrote:

Is this like the Package Tracker widget by Monkey Business Labs? http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=123

It was, but for Aus courier companies.

That was our first widget together, but it never saw the light of day.

MacUser

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trinket wrote:
..... This has left a sour taste in my, and other people's mouths, and I don't think I want to download another iSlayer widget again. Sorry dude...

Well according to some recent comments in Versiontracker in relation to some iSlayer widgets the origins of a couple of his widgets are questionable.

Sorry to hear that, but I guess when you don't actually know the person, you tend to trust what they say is theirs when they claim to be a developer of something. It's evident that the person questioning iSlayer widget origin in Versiontracker must have some reason for it surely, I mean why would a total stranger even raise these questions??

Sorry but I too might just step back from iSlayer widgets for a while as well.
exg5

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacUser wrote:
trinket wrote:
..... This has left a sour taste in my, and other people's mouths, and I don't think I want to download another iSlayer widget again. Sorry dude...

Well according to some recent comments in Versiontracker in relation to some iSlayer widgets the origins of a couple of his widgets are questionable.

Sorry to hear that, but I guess when you don't actually know the person, you tend to trust what they say is theirs when they claim to be a developer of something. It's evident that the person questioning iSlayer widget origin in Versiontracker must have some reason for it surely, I mean why would a total stranger even raise these questions??

Sorry but I too might just step back from iSlayer widgets for a while as well.

Have you seen Lava Lamp, 100% iSlayer innovation, and is truly an amazing piece of work. You are just full of $hit, and because of your lack of imagination choose to insult people who are nice enough to provide amazing software for free. Why would you start a rumour about a company that has only amazing things to produce for this forum?
MacUser

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about???

I haven't started any rumour (read my post slowly). I merely stated that someone posted comments in Versiontracker which has personally raised my awareness. Whether you chose to believe those comments made by that person or not is your personal choice.

Chillout Crying
purvisa

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is, of course, a complete lack of evidence to the claims on VersionTracker. I choose to base my decisions on evidence, but none has been supplied by the user making the claims. I rather worry for that person since thoose claims may end up to be provably libelous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
islayer

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea why anyone would even think about believing the guy from VT
he hasnt posted any evidence because he has none to post.

We all know where I Love Lamp came from and that we created every bit of code and all images ourseleves.

IceTV is the same
We made WorldTV and AusTV which it was based off.

If you can find some evidence against us then post it but i know you wont because there is not a thing to find