Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Just a beginner...

corey

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 - 1:17 pm    Post subject: Just a beginner... Reply with quote

Since OS X's release, I've been really wanting to get into programming. Unfortunately, life (being a husband and a father) has not allowed me the time to follow through with it. After watching Steve's demo of Dashboard at MacWorld, I've been very excited about the possibility of Developinng Widgets. I'm fairly comfortable with HTML and CSS...would Dashborad/Widgets be a good place for me to start?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
blurry
Quality Control

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 - 4:16 pm    Post subject: Oh yes Reply with quote

Widgets would be a great place to start.

Widgets need to be driven by some logic (if the user does this, then do that, ...), and this logic is normally written in JavaScript. JavaScript is really straight-forward, and very easy to learn.

You can also use pretty much any other programming language you like in a widget. Java, Perl, Objective-C, etc, so there's plenty of technologies you can use.

Grab a book on JavaScript and get learning!

Good luck!

George.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.