Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Canadian Cities Weather Widget

ftwiebe

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 - 12:35 am    Post subject: Canadian Cities Weather Widget Reply with quote

I can't get the Accuweather widget to work with most Canadian Cities. I live in Winnipeg, MB Canada R2N 1G9
pontmax

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 - 12:58 am    Post subject: canadian cities in weather widget Reply with quote

Hello

I found a way to have canadian cities in the weather widget that comes with "tiger". You must type in were you live using this format:

CA;XX;CITY

Replace XX with the 2 digit abbreviation for your province. It appears to be case insensitive. Then hit the return key. I live in winnipeg, manitoba so I entered:

CA;MB;WINNIPEG

Vaughan
ftwiebe

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 - 1:02 am    Post subject: THANK YOU!!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks alot fellow winnipegger!
ftwiebe

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 - 1:06 am    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

I added several cities and they all work. How did you ever figure that out?
Maybe while you are here, what about the Yellow Pages for Canada?
pontmax

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 - 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out by finding the url in the widget code that the widget uses to get the weather data. I then entered that into safari and entered a few combinations of city names (both US and Canada) and viewed the source on the result page. The pattern was easy to figure out.

The directory the yellow pages widget uses does not support canadian cities. We will have to encourage someone to develop a widget for www.canada411.com.

Glad I could help a fellow winnipegger
Vaughan
BlueFrog

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 - 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Cities Weather Widget Reply with quote

ftwiebe wrote:
I can't get the Accuweather widget to work with most Canadian Cities. I live in Winnipeg, MB Canada R2N 1G9

Easiest thing is to type the name of the city, then hit return. The widget will pull in the proper city from their list, or display a list if there's more than one city that matches.

I entered Edmonton, and was pissed when it kept displaying the wrong information. Turns out it was for Edmonton, KT, not Edmonton, Alberta. Pressing return after I typed the name brought up 3 "Edmonton" cities, and I could select the proper one.

BlueFrog
google636

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 - 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with bluefrog. I have no trouble with weather in Canada. It works fine, especially when using his method, where it automatically corrects it for you (and the reason you didn't get the fact that hitting return brings up a list confuses me Wink )

I do agree that a Canada Phonewidget is needed. When entered in my postal code and nothing came, I dismissed tiger and said "another waste of money Wink"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.