Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

[CODER REQUEST] imageshack.us widget

Sembazuru

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 - 11:21 pm    Post subject: [CODER REQUEST] imageshack.us widget Reply with quote

OK, here's my idea:

A small widget that, when an image is dropped on it, uploads the image to imageshack.us and returns a link to it. The preferences should include an option to use a certain activation code so that people can use their accounts if they want to.

I have already created images for this widget and I am looking for a competent coder to do it justice. Please help if you can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Sembazuru

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 - 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and here are my concept images, for those of you who were wondering:

From left to right: the front of the widget, the front when a file is being dragged onto it, and the back of the widget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Garcon

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 - 12:09 am    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

I'm afraid that there are three impossibilities with this idea:
One: The Finder beomes inactive when the Dashboard is present.
Two: There is no way to tell a Javascript to activate when something is dragged onto the document.
Three: I believe Imageshack uses cgi scripts to upload files, which not only do developers not have access to, but cannot be activate by anyone's computer anyway.
Sorry to burst your bubble! Maybe if you find an image hoster with ftp access, and don't mind doing something other than drag-and-drop to upload files, someone could write it. Hope that helps!
Sembazuru

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 - 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the drag-and-drop issue, but I don't see how a lack of FTP access could be that big a problem. All you would have to do is embed a form in the widget that posted to ImageShack's script and have all the correct fields and such (in fact, ImageShack supplies an iframe version of its upload script for forums to use).
Chris

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 - 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sorry Reply with quote

Garcon wrote:
I'm afraid that there are three impossibilities with this idea:

Not quite.
Garcon wrote:

One: The Finder beomes inactive when the Dashboard is present.

So start dragging the image you want, then activate the dashboard layer...
Garcon wrote:

Two: There is no way to tell a Javascript to activate when something is dragged onto the document.

Yes there is. Win/IE has had drag and drop support for a few years now, and as Dave Hyatt mentioned on his blog, Safari 2 (and the Dashboard) will add support for this too, in a very similar manner.
Garcon wrote:

Three: I believe Imageshack uses cgi scripts to upload files, which not only do developers not have access to, but cannot be activate by anyone's computer anyway.

I don't know about this one, but if the iframe thing is correct, then that might not be a problem.

So, assuming your point three is also wrong, then this widget should be possible.

I reckon I'll have a look at this if I have some spare time.

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 - 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are pretty nice concept images. Cool
Chris

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 - 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.
Well, I found some spare time roughly 5 minutes ago to give this widget another look. Basically, I just used curl to upload an image to imageshack.us - this one in fact: http://img239.exs.cx/img239/1158/vs7ww.png

So, that can be easily handled from a widget. There are some questions, though.
? How would you like the resulting URL of the uploaded image to be displayed to the user?
? Will the widget be able to upload multiple files in one go (as in, the user can drag a bunch of files onto the widget and it'll upload them in turn)? If so, how would the URLs be displayed in this case.

Oh, and the widget will need to validate the files being dragged, of course (sorry, just thinking aloud).

This could be a cool and useful widget Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Garcon

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 - 6:45 pm    Post subject: Done Reply with quote

Well I took the afformentioned iframe and put it in a very simple widget. Should be in the showcase soon. Hope it works for you.
bonAveo

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 - 9:21 pm    Post subject: Under development Reply with quote

Don't be afarid: a ImageShack Image Hosting widget will be avaible shortly.

I'll even post it here so you'll all get litle notifiers in your emailboxes. Wink

And by the way: It'll be all drag and drop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.