Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Ripple Effect?

paulwald2

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 - 1:23 am    Post subject: Ripple Effect? Reply with quote

I was wondering why I don't have the ripple effect when I drag widgets onto my dashboard? Dose it only work with certain systems, or is it an option you have to turn on? Any help would be great, thanks!
cirix

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 - 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was wondering that myself.
toxer

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 - 5:34 am    Post subject: Your graphic card is not supported Reply with quote

Your graphic card is not supported
Patch

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 - 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what Mac you have it will not work e.g. Mac Mini. The reason why is because some graphics cards do not support core image.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
noradninja

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 - 10:32 pm    Post subject: ..umm... Reply with quote

No, the 9200 DOES support MOST Core Image functions. The reason that you don't get the ripple effect with it is because it is not fast enough to pull the effect off in a smooth fashion. It would be like watching a slideshow at 10 frames per second. The effect is disabled on lower end cards like the 9200 because it would slow the whole system down.

How do I know the 9200 supports CI? Well, you could whip out the CoreImageFunhouse app from the dev tools to prove it to yourself, but I have simple proof.

There are three levels of effects when a widget appears in DB. The first is with the ripple and bounce effect (widget pulsates onto the screen and the area around it distorts in a wave), seen on higher end cards and systems like the 9800 256MB in my G5. The second is just the bounce effect, without the ripple (widget pulsates onto the screen), which is what the 9200 128MB in my G3 does, as well as the Mac Mini's 9200 32MB. The third, and lowest tier effect, is where the widget just appears on the screen, no effects at all. this is what my iBook G3/700 does; it has a card that isn't supported by CI at all, the Rage Mobility 16 MB. Hope this helps to clear up SOME of the confusion.

BTW an EASY way to tell if your card supports CI...Click Apple, About this Mac, then click More Info button. In Apple System Profiler, under the Graphics/Displays item, there will be a listing for Core Image. If it is supported, it will say Supported. If not, it will say Not Supported.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.