Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

HOWTO: Use Widgets Without Pressing F12

gnome
Administrator

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 - 12:48 am    Post subject: HOWTO: Use Widgets Without Pressing F12 Reply with quote

Sweet! A hidden feature of Dashboard is the ability to drag widgets off of "the Dashboard" and on to your main workspace. This modification will require a little Terminal work. Open Terminal.app (found in /Applications/Utilities) and type in the following:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Dashboard devmode YES;killall dock

Your dock will restart and Dashboard will be unavailable until the Dock returns. Now, to get a widget out of the Dashboard:

1. Hold down the mouse button on top of a widget and start dragging.
2. Without letting go, hit F12.
3. OK, you can let go now.

Totally awesome.
lensco

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 - 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't where people found this, but I see this tip popping up everywhere? Now here's my tip: try it without activating the debug mode... No terminal required, ha!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 - 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick test says otherwise. Turning off debug mode disables the ability to drop widgets out of the dashboard. Smile Perhaps you are running on a pre-GM build?
lensco

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 - 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops Lips Locked
I read it somewhere, and tested it in the local apple store, where it did work. Maybe they're running a different build, or have the devmode already activated. I'm still waiting for my Tiger box in the mail, so can't verify here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
ChristopherMarks

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 - 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pull widgets out of Dashboard without turning on the devmode, but it's not the same. You can only do it by dragging one from the Widget Dock, pressing F12, then letting go. However, the next time you view Dashboard, it will be taken away with all the other widgets.

With devmode turned on, you can click and hold on an already open widget, press F12, place it outside of Dashboard, and it won't be swept away the next time you view Dashboard.

Thanks for posting the tip gnome!
zzzmarcus

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 - 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defaults write com.apple.Dashboard devmode YES;killall Dock

is what you have to type. The only difference being that the D in Dock is capitalized Smile
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 - 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzzmarcus wrote:
defaults write com.apple.Dashboard devmode YES;killall Dock

is what you have to type. The only difference being that the D in Dock is capitalized Smile

Works fine without. Smile

Quote:
You can only do it by dragging one from the Widget Dock, pressing F12, then letting go.

Yeah, maybe this is a bug that Apple didn't catch because the behavior is unusual. This is a better solution though. Flowers
IanTheMacFan
No longer registered

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 - 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristopherMarks wrote:
You can pull widgets out of Dashboard without turning on the devmode, but it's not the same. You can only do it by dragging one from the Widget Dock, pressing F12, then letting go. However, the next time you view Dashboard, it will be taken away with all the other widgets.

When I did this there was no widget shadow. I used BatteryInfo.
VegasACF

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 - 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now how do you close the widgets once they are open outside the F12 realm? I want them to go away, but cannot figure out how.
Mayhem

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 - 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VegasACF wrote:
Okay, now how do you close the widgets once they are open outside the F12 realm? I want them to go away, but cannot figure out how.

Hold the option key while mousing over the widget to make the closebox appear. Also works for widgets on the dashboard by the way.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 - 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks. Another, much less handy, way is to remove the widgets from the widget folder(s).

The option key is far more elegant a solution. Thanks again.
AutumnFire

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't widgets float above all open windows when you do this? Shouldn't there be a way to stop that, i.e. nail them to the desktop? Then the desktop would really be a functional piece of the OS.
bby

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 - 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem wrote:
VegasACF wrote:

Hold the option key while mousing over the widget to make the closebox appear. Also works for widgets on the dashboard by the way.

To move a widget back into dashboard, go the same way you've got it out, reverse. Drag the widget, press F12, dashboard appears, drop. So you don't have to close and reopen it. It's just back in dasboard.

But also thanks for the option key tip. Didn't know it yet.

My favourite widget for using out of the dashboard is flores. See incoming mail without dock, all the time. (mine is hidden `til mouse nearby)

bby
SidneySM

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 - 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutumnFire wrote:
Don't widgets float above all open windows when you do this? Shouldn't there be a way to stop that, i.e. nail them to the desktop? Then the desktop would really be a functional piece of the OS.

Apple didn't want Dashboard to be too much of a Konfabulator copy. Maybe Dash'll have this feature some day, but the drag-out behavior of devmode is intended to make Widgets float.
The mode was created so that developers could test their Widgets as they make them, reloading with cmd-R and without having to switch to Dash view.

Ah, and this is my first post here I think I'm going to have fun.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.