Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Baseball widget

Redsoxrock

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 - 4:55 pm    Post subject: Baseball widget Reply with quote

Will someone please develop a widget like the one in Konfabulator!
http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=34850
It would really make my happy and many other baseball fans out there![url][/url]
Benito67

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 - 1:14 pm    Post subject: Baseball widget PLEASE. Reply with quote

I would certainly use it too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
metsfan489

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 - 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've done all I could do. I posted the rss feed that took me a few days to find in various sports websites source code.

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=442
fletch

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 - 2:54 am    Post subject: in the works Reply with quote

I've been working on one for a couple of weeks, but thanks to being super busy at work and now some safari javascript bugs, it's taken a lot longer than I was expecting.

To give you an idea of what the first revision might look like, here are a couple of early screen shots (the data in this case is obviously fake):
http://flet.ch/widget_front.png
http://flet.ch/widget_back.png

I pretty much just ripped off ESPN's box score design. I've slapped their logo on it, so hopefully I won't get any angry emails from them.

Despite my troubles with this last safari bug, I still hope to have the widget ready for some testing in the next few days. Anyone who wants to test it is welcome to email me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Redsoxrock

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 - 3:23 pm    Post subject: NICE! Reply with quote

Very Happy YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!! Thank you so much for making a BASEBALL WIDGET!
Benito67

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 - 4:36 pm    Post subject: Where is it? Reply with quote

How come whenever I download this ( 3 times now) I get some blank document that I can only find in my finder and when I open it it does nothing?
I'm not seeing any baseball widget here.
Am I the only one?
I REALLY NEED THIS...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
fletch

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 - 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is it? Reply with quote

Benito67 wrote:
I'm not seeing any baseball widget here.

That's because there isn't one. At least not yet. Read my first post again. The links I posted were just screen shots.

And an update: I found another data source at ESPN that I'm going to use until I can work around the safari bug that's blocking me. Expect a beta in the next couple of days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Benito67

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 - 8:13 pm    Post subject: I thought so... Reply with quote

Weird,redsoxrock had me thinking that you had ALREADY made it is all,sorry!
I was "a little excited"...
The png shots look cool;can't wait to check out your work.
I appreciate it!

I also tried out the mac version from konfabulator but their code must be different.I think that widget was really old...

Thanks for making something useful!
fletch

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 - 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update.

First, the UI is about done. But you saw that a couple of days ago.

As far as coding, I've got it fetching the day's matchups, and requesting the data for your team's game that day. Really all that's left is to hook up the functions that display the data, and to add some more error handling.

I've gotten really far tonight and hope to get some more time in tomorrow night.

If I get it to a usable beta state Tuesday night I'll test it during the day Wednesday. Assuming I don't find any giant bugs to fix Wednesday I'll post a beta Weds. night.

I've also filed that XMLHttpRequest bug with Apple. Hopefully they'll fix it at some point and I'll be able to switch to ESPN's better data source.
Benito67

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 - 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
I'm ready to give it a run...
Good luck.
ryebrye

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 - 2:24 am    Post subject: Why do you need to pick a team? Reply with quote

Just a redsox widget is good enough for me Razz You could make a yankee's widget very easily for this season: Have it have a static image "Yankees LOST their most recent game" and it would be right 70% of the time.
fletch

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 - 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another status update:

I've made a lot of progress in the last couple of days and I'm really close to having this thing to beta. In the interest of getting this posted for you guys to play with I'm leaving some things out of the first release.

Things that won't be fixed by tomorrow (not a complete list):
    - If your team isn't playing on a given day you'll probably see an error message. This will be handled more gracefully in the future.
    - There isn't any automatic refreshing of data yet (for now you'll have to reload the widget with cmd+R to refresh the data).
There's also some UI cleanup that'll need to happen before I can call it "1.0".

I'll post a beta link late tomorrow (thursday) night. I'm on the west coast of the US, so if you're east of me you probably shouldn't wait up Smile.
ryebrye

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 - 12:52 am    Post subject: RyeBrye Reply with quote

I'm patiently waiting... Razz
fletch

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 - 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got more done than I thought I would, including the two things I specifically said would not be done in my post yesterday. (This release does refresh automatically while the game is in play, and it handles the case where you're team isn't playing that day.)

I've put up a sparse web page for it just so it has a home other than this forum thread. More information will show up there tomorrow night, including some known issues and planned additions.

If you find any bugs, please email me and let me know. The more detailed the information you give me on how to trigger the bug(s), the better.

Keeping in mind that it is a beta (and my first widget Smile), you can find it here:

[update: Apparently I violated some sort of rule by posting a link to a widget here. (Yeah, I don't get it either.) The link was removed by a forum moderator.]

Enjoy!
fletch

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 - 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a very minor update that makes the display a little more useful when it's in the pregame state -- it now displays the game start time.

[update: They removed this link too. (see the note in the post above this one.)]

(The change was so minor I'm still calling it beta 1)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next