Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Market for Widgets?

Lynn

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 - 3:02 am    Post subject: Market for Widgets? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am wondering if there will be any kind of a market for selling widgets? There is one site that is currently up, http://www.mymacwidgets.com/, which is attempting to sell widgets for 99 cents each. Is anyone planning on selling their widgets at some point?

Thanks!
blurry
Quality Control

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 - 6:44 am    Post subject: Oh yes Reply with quote

I think there is a market for widgets. If you think about it, a widget is just a mini application, so there's no reason they couldn't be charged for. If you find it useful, either buy it, or donate to the developer.

George.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 - 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd like to see the free market succeed (such as our showcase). People like free.
blurry
Quality Control

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 - 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermac99 wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see the free market succeed (such as our showcase). People like free.

I agree, but if someone made a widget you really liked, and you used it every day because you found it useful, would you really not want to part with a few bucks or so? I think if the developer has done a good job and made a widget you would go nuts without, or go crazy using an inferior widget just because it was free, you should reward his efforts.

I don't think they should be priced at any more than a few dollars, though. The majority of widgets are very quick to put together and get working. I would love to see a free market, but if someone wants something in return, I think that's fair enough. If it's a more complicated widget and the developer has put a lot of effort into it, then there's no reason the widget shouldn't be priced accordingly. It's still software. It's still the developer's free time that's being given up so you can have something you find useful.

Personally, I can see myself churning out widgets by the dozen. I'm more likely to use a donation strategy, as I work as a professional Software Engineer, I love what I do, and anything I only spend a couple of days putting together in my free time is done for fun.

George.
julzmon

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 - 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a hight quality widget such as the Apple ones. There is no reason why you shouldn't charge for it. I would pay for very well written and useful widgets.

Julz
ABloke

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 - 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's what donations are for...if you like it, you reward the developer. Rather than being expected to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 - 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealing with money is always a tricky issue. Usually best to stick with plain ol' free market. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.