Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

[Request] Canadian Yellow & White Pages / Weather

pixelize

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 - 5:18 pm    Post subject: [Request] Canadian Yellow & White Pages / Weather Reply with quote

Wow, was I ever disappointed in the yellow pages widget that was supplied with Dashboard... Well, make that I'm disappointed that just about every widget that searches places on there is geared for the States.

But I digress... A few of us here are dying to have a working yellow pages widget. One that searches http://yellowpages.ca... and as an added bonus maybe something that searches http://whitepages.ca.

As well, the closet town my weather widget gets is an hour away, and my city is twice it's size. I find that rather odd, considering the site the widget pulls its information from lists my city... but after trying every combination and every hint I've come across, it still doesn't work. Maybe someone could consider making a widget for http://theweathernetwork.ca?

Thanks so much to anyone who gives this thought. And if someone could pull this off for us poor northren folk, you'll have a whole country grateful to you. Very Happy

/grovels
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Visnaut

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 - 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya!

You'll be happy to know I'm already working on a Weather Network widget! In fact, I made a decent Konfabulator widget for this purpose that I never released to the public. It's slightly unpolished, but it works!

I've already ported over the parsing engine that mines the data from any city page, and it's working flawlessly. I'm simply taking the time to make a very well-thought out design. As you can tell, the Weather Network provides some very detailed weather conditions and forecasts. Stuff I find useful and that isn't really displayed in Apple's weather widget, like wind speeds and such. And I want to make it all available to the user, without being overly complicated or cluttered.

So this is my first priority as you can tell. I'm not sure when I'll be done, I'm only working on this on my spare time; let's just say I'm very enthusiastic about finishing and releasing it.

After that, I may consider working on widgets for other canadian sites, time permitting! But you can bet you'll have a Weather Network one soon!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.