Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

texture/style for widget back side

dE

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 - 1:12 pm    Post subject: texture/style for widget back side Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm searching a texture (favored as Fireworks Style) for my widgets back sides. I want that my widgets look like Apples widgets.

greetings
Dirk Einecke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
kingmob

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 - 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your /System/Library/WidgetRessources folder, you will find some graphics provided by Apple usable for widget creation. Unfortunately, their background is not there, but if you look into one of the bundles in /Library/Widgets you should be able to snag one from the Weather widget, for example.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 - 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in duplicating the texture/style of Apple's back side .png

I realize that I could just snag the image from an existing widget, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I would, then, be tied down to that size for my widget.

I'm extremely partial to the Gimp, so if any of you gimp experts out there have a tutorial for doing this, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
kingmob

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 - 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you are limited to the size of the Widget only insofar as that you can't use the graphics for widgets larger than the Apple ones (The largest one of them, I think, is flighttracker at 409x192 pixels), but for smaller widgets, you can copy a part the size you need and use the Gimp's equivalent of Photoshop's "Paste Into" function.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 - 3:50 pm    Post subject: Widgets that look like Apple's Reply with quote

Hey. I just posted a somewhat-lengthy set of tips for getting your Widgets to look more like Apple's Widgets. It includes a bit where I reverse-engineered most of Apple's design for the backside (which I think looks really cool).

http://alexedelman.net/2005/05/reverse-engineering-shiny.html

Hope this is valuable and I would love feedback.
jrw

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 - 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexedelman,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the work you put into the tutorial!

Unfortunately, I don't have photoshop, so I'm still searching for an equivalent gimp technique.

However, thanks again, I did learn some things!
Mayhem

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 - 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Widgets that look like Apple's Reply with quote

alexedelman wrote:
Hey. I just posted a somewhat-lengthy set of tips for getting your Widgets to look more like Apple's Widgets. It includes a bit where I reverse-engineered most of Apple's design for the backside (which I think looks really cool).

http://alexedelman.net/2005/05/reverse-engineering-shiny.html

Hope this is valuable and I would love feedback.

I think your tutorial is great, though as with everything there are improvements which can be made. Some embedded intermediate graphics so the reader can see what happens in each step would probably be appreciated by those without extensive pixel pushing experience. Also shortly reiterating the Apple recommendations (size, drop shadow, etc.) you link to would make the article easier to follow as the reader wouldn't have to leave the site mid-paragraph to look them up. Finally your server doesn't seem to give the right mime-type for PSD files, following the links to the examples makes Safari render them as plain-text and when downloading an extra .html suffix is strangely appended to the filenames.

I redesigned the back of my widget following some of your guidelines and I have to say it looks a whole lot better now. Sadly I had to make do without the texturing which would've been a true pain to implement for my irregularly shaped, vertically resizable widget (unlike Apple's widgets I want my back to always mirror size and shape of the front). Unless someone happens to know a trick to accomplish real-time masking that is... Surprised