Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Comments and Suggestions

Limiting the showcase

jyee

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 - 11:59 am    Post subject: Limiting the showcase Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be elitist or snotty or exclusive, but i think this site should consider posting only tested, _working_ widgets to the showcase. Consider it a measure of quality control. It's hard for this site to become the best widget repository when some of the widgets posted don't work.

Posting widgets that do not have any functionality looks rather bad for the site. Posting beta widgets that work, but may have a few bugs would still be ok, as dashboard itself is beta and has a few bugs. Untested widgets (particularly those created by developers who lack tiger) should be posted into a special forum for testing by other members. That way, we can - as a community - help bring developing widgets into a functional state and as a result, have the best widgets available anywhere.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
flashmanburgess
Quality Control

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 - 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Limiting the showcase Reply with quote

jyee wrote:
Posting widgets that do not have any functionality looks rather bad for the site. Posting beta widgets that work, but may have a few bugs would still be ok, as dashboard itself is beta and has a few bugs. Untested widgets (particularly those created by developers who lack tiger) should be posted into a special forum for testing by other members. That way, we can - as a community - help bring developing widgets into a functional state and as a result, have the best widgets available anywhere.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

I completely agree. I have downloaded a few myself that simply do not work. It would be nice maybe if there was a description stating that it doesn't work, or maybe what stage of development it is in so that others know what they're downloading ahead of time. What's surprising to me is the lack of quality widgets on this site so far. Where are all the widgets? I know myself and Blurry have not posted any yet, but we are waiting for clearance from Apple. Let's see those widgets folks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN MessengerWidgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 - 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, yes, many widgets on the site don't seem to work properly under Dashboard. But also, since Tiger is prerelease software, we can't legally try our own widgets.

Limiting? I don't think that's the solution. However, PM and I have discussed this issue more than once, since I predicted that non-functional widgets would be uploaded and we wouldn't have any way of verifying them. (Fun fact: None of us at DBD actually have Tiger!)

I have a better solution though. For the benefit of those who haven't uploaded widgets, I'd like to mention that we've set up a system that widgets will only appear if they are validated first. We can, if anyone would like to offer some time, give you some special privileges to let you take care of the validation of widgets. All it requires is taking a look at the widgets that aren't approved yet, downloading them, and running them. Then if they work you can approve them, and if not you can use our system to send the rejected user about why it didn't work.

If anyone would be kind enough to volunteer some time, it would be greatly appreciated on behalf of the users! I completely agree that the steady stream of non-functioning widgets is not good. I would personally take care of it if I had 10.4. If you're interested, please PM or email me!

My upwards of 2 cents response.
flashmanburgess
Quality Control

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 - 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN MessengerWidgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 - 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! We have an official Quality Controller. I think we have room for one or two more if anyone is still interested and owns 10 4.
blurry
Quality Control

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 - 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more than happy to help out.

I think that with the Apple NDA, I'd be limited to only saying "Works in Dashboard" or "Doesn't work in Dashboard", but it at least lets people know how stable the widget is under certain conditions.

George.
Administrator

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 - 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woderful! Thank you both for helping us out.
flashmanburgess
Quality Control

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 - 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermac99 wrote:
Woderful! Thank you both for helping us out.

My pleasure. As long as this doesn't void us from winning the contest. Very Happy
pm
Administrator

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 - 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. Although, we're probably going to extend the contest (I've gotten a lot of emails about it).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.