Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

police codes for police scanner

etard

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 - 11:18 am    Post subject: police codes for police scanner Reply with quote

I would love to see a widget that woul allow me to type in a police code (for example 10-23) and then the result for the code (standby). now, I have to look at a book when I hear a code I do not know (10 codes, 11 codes, etc.). I know these are regional, so maybe the ability to pick a region or change the codes also?
etard

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 - 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone seen such a thing yet?
Powerphillg5

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 - 5:12 am    Post subject: Here you go Reply with quote

I made it just for you guys, it shows you the 10- codes, but the next version will feature 11- too and the version after that will feature more stuff tell me what you think... enjoy. RadioWidget
etard

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 - 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice start..... thanks!

here is some feedback

First, it is natural to put in a 10 code and hit Return (rather than the actual Translate button). instead, with your widget, hitting Return is a hard return in the input field rather than a return to start the query. Thus, you get no results as your 10 code is now on line 1 of an ever ending row of text. Maybe make the text input box only able to take 1 line of text.

Also, please consider adding general Radio Codes like: 187, 203, 207, 211, 242, etc.

Also, as you mentioned, please consider adding 11 codes.

Last, you might consider putting in all the options for each code. for example, many are generic across all states like 10-1 and 10-4 and 10-20, but 10-67 in AZ means Court while in your widget it means Person calling for help - both are correct, but it might be nice to list the several possible meanings for codes. this could be done by making a state drop down and linking state to correct codes. Or, a code lists maybe 3 possible outputs. I understand this would take more time, but nice for a final full featured complete widget.

as for look... I like the modern cop car. nice. maybe refine the rounded edges, color the input fileds different so you can visually tell them different, and maybe a neater aqua red (like a siren) Translate button.

just some ideas. nice job....keep on it as you are close.
Powerphillg5

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 - 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found a website that has all 50 state codes, and if you do find one let me know, that way I can to some xml requests and then we can get going with that zip code option. Also, I will fix up those edges ( i did do it like in a day so...) any way... Oh yeah do expect 11-codes, and the enter key on the next version.

Thanks For the Feedback!!

Phill.
etard

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 - 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good more complete police code listings:

http://www.bearcat1.com/radio.htm - at the top is a drop down menu for each state

http://cobras.org/police.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-code

this will all depend on how big you want the database to get and how complete you want to make the listings.
Powerphillg5

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 - 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first link is just perfect, so I'll get to work on it asap.

Thanks! just the site I needed.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.