Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Widget Testing

flashmanburgess
Quality Control

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 - 10:25 pm    Post subject: Widget Testing Reply with quote

There seems to be some confusion as to how the plist.info needs to be set up. Several of the latest widgets simply do not work in dashboard ubder 8a369. I know there is a new update coming out shortly but I don't think it's a dashboard bug, rather a missconfiguered plist. Has anyone experienced any problems with the latest widgets? They seem to run ok in Safari, but in dashboard they refuse to load.

NetSpeed - The Speedo netspeed, DBD Showcase loads, but then does not function, Coin Flip only works if 3 or more Dice are selected initially. Anyone else experienceing the same thing I am. Maybe it's just my Machine???

Paul

Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN MessengerWidgets
blurry
Quality Control

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 - 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away for a couple of days so haven't had a chance to test the newer widgets. I'll give them a go tonight and give some help if some of them don't work on 8A369.

There were some changes in build 8A369 to how the PLIST file should be written, and how the widget files should be laid out in the widget package, so this might be causing some issues.

George.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 - 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I get Dashboard to flush its cache of widgets? I dropped in one of the developer examples into /Library/Widgets and it loaded when I pressed F12, now I have moved it (just to my Desktop) and Dashboard still sees is there! I have tried restarting and it is STILL there. Any suggestions?

Also, the widget I am working on can only be loaded by double-clicking, dropping it in the Widgets directory doesn't cause it to show up in Dashboard.

TFR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
flashmanburgess
Quality Control

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 - 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check both of the widgets folders. The one in your personal library/widgets and the root library/widgets. Sometimes it copies it to that folder instead of the user folder if you simply double click it from the finder for the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN MessengerWidgets
blurry
Quality Control

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 - 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macrophyllum wrote:
How can I get Dashboard to flush its cache of widgets?

This might not be the best way, but it works:

First, find the process ID of Dock.app by running Activity Monitor, or by typing ps -ef into a Terminal window.

Next, restart the process by typing the following into a Terminal window:
Code:
kill -HUP <processID>

Where <processID> is the process ID of Dock.app you found in the first step.

The Dock will close and reopen and Dashboard will re-initialise.

George.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 - 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a tip related to the dashboard cache:

you can reload a single widget by clicking it and hitting cmd-r

this *might* remove a widget from the cache if the widget file is no longer in ~/Library/Widgets or /Library/Widgets... but i havent tested that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
iremembercliford

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 - 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a widget bundle has crashed, there is not much hope of reloading it. cmd-r essentially just reloads it like a webpage. In testing, I've found that I can crash the OS with some bad lines in a plugin.

Also, for relaunching the dock, that commandline way is overkill. Just force-quit it from Activity Monitor. Relaunching the dock is the best way to flush a widget if you are debugging.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.