Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

font size in dashboard bigger than in Safari

snid

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 - 9:17 am    Post subject: font size in dashboard bigger than in Safari Reply with quote

Has anyone determined what's going on with font sizes in Dashboard? In the widget I'm working on, the font size when using Dashboard is bigger than when looking at the same widget in Safari.

Am I imagining things? Is there a way to force dashboard to use the same default font size as Safari? I'd prefer to not have to hard-code the font size to something like 12pt, because some people have a hard time reading small fonts. I like to use the relative sizes (like smaller) to change font sizes when I need to, and use the user's default most of the time.
Visnaut

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 - 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with relative font sizes in Dashboard? There's no interface to set a user's preferred size, and I doubt it reads Safari's prefs to determine them.

If you must have scalable text, I'd suggest you have a preference on the back of your widget to choose from several sizes.

And if you want to go all out, maybe there's a way you could read the default font/size using the "defaults" command-line utility. I skimmed over Safari's prefs, but I couldn't find anything font specific, but I'm sure you could find the right plist if you're determined. Type "man defaults" in the terminal if you're interested.

But if you do that, then you'd have to consider reading ALL major browsers' prefs, since not everyone uses Safari.

Good luck!
Chris

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 - 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why the font size would be any bigger, either. Maybe you've just set yours to be smaller in Safari via the view menu?

Failing that, maybe it's because of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
ryand

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 - 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dashboard uses webkit. check the webkit defaults if anything. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.