Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Comments and Suggestions

Category suggestions

kps

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 - 4:49 pm    Post subject: Category suggestions Reply with quote

Since the Internet category is much larger than any other, how about splitting off

• widgets that are associated with one particular site, like web comic viewers, searching eBay/Amazon/VersionTracker/whatever, etc.
  • widgets that are specific to a particular place -- traffic in Hamburg, nightclubs in Casablanca, weather in Bermuda, etc.

Widgets of these kinds currently appear in both the Internet and Misc categories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
kingmob

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 - 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be in favor especially for a "localized" category - there are lots of widgets that only make sense when you live in a specific country or city, like telephone books, route planners, newsfeeds, etc. - it would be nice if they were sorted in a different place, maybe even by country, or at least by continent?

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 - 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The categories don't scale that well anyway. It seems likely that in a year all categories will be as full as the internet category is currently.

I think the best solution is to put a search box on every page, or at least every page of the showcase.
Doxxic

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 - 3:09 am    Post subject: Localized Reply with quote

I agree with Kingmob - we need a localized category.

It would inspire people to see what has been made for other countries and port it to their own.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 - 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just completely re-structured the Showcase, creating new categories, breaking some up, and combining others. While we didn't add a localized category, we did create one place for each type of widget that would probably have various localizations such as "Phonebooks" and "Weather and Traffic" widgets.

A big change we made was to the Internet category, you'll notice it's completely gone. Searching took up most of the Internet category so we created a dedicated place for widgets that search websites.

For now, some widgets that were previously located in the internet category are in Miscellaneous. We'll be looking for ways to give them their own category in the coming days.

I hope this helps navigation a bit Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.