Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

how can I make a widget button send a hotkey ?

tripdragon

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 - 5:58 pm    Post subject: how can I make a widget button send a hotkey ? Reply with quote

I want to make a simple button widget that can be given a hotkey and on press send that hotkey command. Cant get any simpler than that Very Happy

Please help I am not that adapt at code yet and have no clue if widgets can even do this, But I know the expose dot can do it soooo widgets should beable to...
ryand

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 - 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what hotkey? Im not sure that widgets can create keyboard events, but Im pretty sure you could applescript or shell script your way there.
tripdragon

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 - 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it can be any key, I would just press the i button to flip it and asign a different key combo. If it is applescript it would have to be fast like just a button. That is all I want it to do is act like a button. Please dont say this is impossible I really want this simple peasy app.
drdoe

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 - 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to script it outside of the widget, I think... You can't make javaScript throw key-commands... and if you could my guess it that they'd only pertain to the Dashboard, since that would be the active "window"...

I don't know if you can make AppleScript throw keys, nor do I know if you can a make a shell script do... the best way would be to make a Cocoa plug-in that does what you need, but I can't help you there I'm afraid

Anyway, nothing's impossible.. it just takes longer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Mayhem

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 - 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleScript is probably the way to go, you can use the Keystroke and/or Key Code commands of System Events.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN MessengerWidgets
tripdragon

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egh,,, but apple script is slow... Has no one ever seen the expose dot ? It just sends the Applications window expose command to the current and poof windows go flying, cant I make another one of these ???

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031010141631859

Cause I also want to use this when useing expose
sleep 5 && killall Dock

it lets me make all of my windows small and still useable. But I have to run a script to do it. I would like to use it by just holding down a keyand have the windows press f10 or f9. A dream way to use it would be to just hold down f9 or f10 for two seconds. Can this be done ??
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.