Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

A new self contained Google Image Search widget online test.

Voxel

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 - 5:56 am    Post subject: A new self contained Google Image Search widget online test. Reply with quote

Hello there, first post Smile

I'm (unfortunately) specialized in Director/Shockwave programming and I was glad to find in Apple's documentation that Shockwave is officially supported in Dashboard since the plug-in is a standard install on Tiger.

I had built a Shockwave based Google image front end before I even knew that Dashboard was coming, and now I'm in the process of converting it to a widget. The widget version works for me but it's not ready for prime time, but instead you can try it online. Here is a screenshot of the current online test version:

What is particular about this Google Image search front end is that it will download the full size images directly from the sites found in the search results, and display them as little previews in the widget. If an image is not found on the original server you won't even see it's preview.

Every image you can see in the widget is a successful download of the original full size image. If you click a preview, you can instantly see and scroll the full size image inside the widget by dragging it. While in full size mode, you can click the little Safari icon and that will open the image directly in the default web browser so you can view and save it manually. Yes this button will "launch" the browser, but it's a safe way to save the images and you only do it when you found the right image and want to keep it.

My widget won't require local file or system access to work (just like it works in a browser). The images are downloaded in the normal Web-Kit cache like Safari and Dashboard. (And like I just mentioned, to keep them you have to use a Web browser and save them anywhere you want using the normal procedure)

Some little features: unlike in this screenshot, the default interface setting is grayscale, but you can change the color of the interface by clicking the little red green blue button at the lower right and choosing a color from the palette. You can also zoom in 200% and back to 100% using the little magnifying glasses at the lower right. If you hold option while clicking a preview the widget will search for all the images on this particular site. If you hold option while clicking the left "search history" button (at the top left) it will clear the search history. If you hold control while starting up the widget, preferences will be cleared (color of interface, search history and last search)

I'm working on making it collapsable so that it doesn't take too much space when not used and I will try to make a more compact design. Some other features like showing the image size could be useful.

So until I release an actual widget, if you have Tiger you can try the online HTML+Shockwave version without having to download anything.

So the online version is at:

http://pages.infinit.net/voxel/googleimage.html

(Edit: I just fixed a little bug that could cause slow typing in some situations.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.