Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Five 10.4.1 Updated Dashboard Widgets Won't Work

JudieKaren

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 - 6:56 pm    Post subject: Five 10.4.1 Updated Dashboard Widgets Won't Work Reply with quote

When I installed the 10.4.1 update there were 5 updated widgets in my Mac HD>Library>Widgets folder. The 5 are:

Address Book.wdgt
Dictionary.wdgt
Flight Tracker.wdgt
Phone Book.wdgt
World Clock.wdgt

Those 5 show up in my "Widget Bar" (the one you get when you click on the "+" to display your widgets) as the square black icon with 4 symbols on them, just the way they look in the Library. I cannot drag them onto Dashboard. All the rest of the widgets are fine.

I burned a CD of the widget folder in 10.4.1 and also a copy of the widget folder from 10.4 (from my cloned backup of 10.4). I then replaced my Mac HD>Library>Widgets folder in 10.4.1 with the one from 10.4 and all the widgets now work, and I can live with this, BUT I'd kind of like to use the updated 5 widgets Apple included in 10.4.1.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's almost like those 5 need to be "unstuffed" or something. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with them before they go in the Library?

I have installed Widget Manager and all the widgets are there, but I'm still at a loss of why they don't look (colorful icons instead of black squares) like the other widgets in the Widget Bar.

Thank you.

Judie

P.S. Perhaps you could just tell me where I can download the 5 updated widgets Apple sent with the Tiger 10.4.1 update and maybe Widget Manager can handle it for me?
drdoe

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 - 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what happened:
The Widgets that don't work now, are the ones you had disabled via Widget Manager when you updated to 10.4.1.
The update only attempted to add/replace files in the widgets, not replace the entire widget. In other words, the update depended on finding the original widgets, and alter them.
Since (I'm guessing) you had disabled them, Widget Manager had renamed them to "Phone Book.disabled" instead of "Phone Book.wdgt".
So the update couldn't find them, and instead created a new widget, but put in only the stuff that was part of the update.

So here's what you have to do. First, copy your widgets to another folder (just so you don't work directly in the /Library/Widgets/ folder and so you're working on copies, just in case).
Then, use "Show Package Contents" to open both the 10.4.0 widget and it's 10.4.1 version. Then start copying files from the 10.4.1 widget into the 10.4.0 widget, replacing the existing files in the 10.4.0 widget. You'll see that there are a lot of files missing in the 10.4.1 (for instance the Icon.png file which is the widget's icon in the widget bar). Don't copy folders over, because you'll (of course) replace the entire folder in the 10.4.0 widget, and with it all the non-updated stuff you need.
So anyway, you get the general idea. You basically have to manually sync the widgets.
When you're done put the new and beefed up 10.4.0 widgets (which are now 10.4.1 widgets) in your /Library/Widgets folder and you're good to go.

I just had this happen to myself (minutes after reading your post no less), and it did the trick for me. Hope it works for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
JudieKaren

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 - 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, drdoe! I printed out your directions and followed them to a "T" and now ALL my widgets work, including the 5 that were updated in Tiger 10.4.1. Very Happy

Actually it wasn't Widget Manager v. 1.0 that caused the problem. It was ::cough:: ME ::cough:: by moving my Widgets folder before updating to 10.4.1. Embarassed

But I have put it back and promise to leave it alone now that everything is working so perfectly! I've installed Widget Manager 1.1 and I'll let it handle my widgets from now on.

Thanks again! Flowers

JudieKaren

P.S. On one of the "fix-it" forums this morning I came across this same problem/solution from someone else, but your directions were way better. He didn't include the step about NOT copying over the folders. (Once I got inside those folders, I saw how that was a very important step!)
drdoe

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 - 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudieKaren wrote:
Thank you so much, drdoe!

You're quite welcome, I'm just glad to hear it worked Smile
Just remember that Widget Manager can screw up too - that's how it happened for me. You just have to remember to enable every single Apple widget before running an update (and I know I'll forget to do that next time... oh well)

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 - 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My widget were also corrupted, by updating/widget manager and I dont have replacements?
other than reinstalling Tiger, which id rather not do.....

can i download the new 10.4.1 widgets from some where, or could someone email me a copy of theirs?

ones that are currently not working are:

Dictionary
Flight Tracker
Address Book
Phone Book

thanks in advance

cheesegrator...at....hotmail.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.