Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Sound and Reactions

pillowhead

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 - 3:43 pm    Post subject: Sound and Reactions Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it is possible to add real-time animation to a widget based on sound output.
For example, if I have a phrase spoken though Apple's built in speech, could I create something that would sync up to the output, and animate something like a mouth, etc.

I know how to do this with Flash, so I'm wondering if I could embed an SWF in my widget.

The biggest burdle for me now is how to read the speech as actual audio.
SInce it is synthesized in software, I'm not sure how I will be able to get the levels from the phrase being spoken.

I want to keep it using the built in speech, because I can access hundreds of phrases without bulking up the file size like an audio file.

Any suggestions?
Mayhem

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 - 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would most likely need to write a native Objective-C plug-in to do anything that advanced. I imagine you'd have to tap into CoreAudio and grab the outgoing soundstream, but how to actually accomplish that I have no idea.