Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central
Goto page 1, 2  Next

My idea for a gadget

JackoMac

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 - 8:21 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

If there are any developers out there with some free time, I would love a dictionary.com gadget. It would be really simple - I would look like a dictionary, or something cool, and I would type in a word I want a definition of. It would then get the definition from dictionary.com (or somewhere else online) and display the results in its own gadget window. maybe by turning a page?

Is this possible?
spauldingg

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 - 8:21 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Group51, those are good ideas.
add:
1. daily horoscopes
2. bible quote search
3. atlas (I'm working on an interface for this one)
4. updating news headlines
5. "Terra" alert.

Also, some of those cool useless little palm apps: rock garden, tip calculator, etc. In fact, I think the people who made Simcity for the Palm should just slap it in a gadget. One of the few I might pay for, especially if it syncs with my palm version.
Group51

1. A gadget that shows my 'Today' Outlook style view.
2. A gadget that shows current departure/arrival times for an airport or rail station
3. A gadget that tells me the Rasmussen poll rating for Bush v Kerry and other polls.
4. A gadget that can tell a woman her menstrual cycle
5. BBC News ticker
6. A gadget that can display subject lines from a particular folder in Mail e.g new sales request
Widgets
vmirce

So is anyone working on a weather gadget yet? Surely that would be one of the most requested gadgets so far?? That would very near the top of my list of useful gadgets!
wrx_13

I've got a very crude gadget that has support for dictionary.com and the thesaurus that goes with it.

Any chance of releasing your gadget now Chris? I mean the more the merrier really, and I'm sure two dictionary/thesaurus gadgets would have their own interface/options. Choice is good, and at this stage I would like any dictionary/thesaurus gadget, rather than none!
JackoMac

That was quick pyrotoaster, I can't believe you will be already submitting it today. Good because not enough people have been submitting gadgets recently.
Madmandan

that will be cool pyrotoaster. I cant tell where anyone's timezone is on here, so how many hours away is 'this afternoon'??
pyrotoaster

Thanks for the interest!
I've finshed 1.0 (it has it's own interface), and I'll submit it this afternoon (I'm waiting to get some more work done on my website).

As for Dictionary/Theasaurus.com, I think I've worked out a way to handle them on top of the three searches I've already got working, but I haven't tested it yet. I should work, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Chris

I've got a very crude gadget that has support for dictionary.com and the thesaurus that goes with it. If you want, you can have the code for that rather than me releasing it as a seperate gadget (although, I may just do that too Smile )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
JackoMac

I've been working on a gadget for multiple web searches and would like to add Dictionary.com support, but that site treats spaces in searches differently then the sites I'm working with right now. I'll need to experiment with some If-then statements in order to make it work.

Awesome that sounds great. Any chance of submitting the gadget without dictionary.com code at first, then updating it once included with that too? So far most gadgets on the site are fairly non-interactive, I would like to see some more useful ones appear like yours.

Also, does it have its own interface? (not a sticky note)
pyrotoaster

I've been working on a gadget for multiple web searches and would like to add Dictionary.com support, but that site treats spaces in searches differently then the sites I'm working with right now. I'll need to experiment with some If-then statements in order to make it work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Jeremy
Administrator

Sounds great pyrotoaster, any expected time of release? I'm sure there are many interested people wanting to get their hands on that!
Zooming Chicken Pants

I like the idea of having a dictionary/thesaurus gadget, provided it was snappyƓ and effective!
Madmandan

I know some people will hate this idea, but how about a Big Brother webcam gadget? 24/7 video of the Big Brother house whenever it is running. Maybe you could select from a few different countries too?
dev_nut

Gadgets I would find useful include:

Basic weather report
Multi-clipboard gadget
iTunes Music Store Top 10 songs
iTunes Music store free song of the week.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next