Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

can't get my widget out of the widget dock

jax

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 - 9:44 am    Post subject: can't get my widget out of the widget dock Reply with quote

So I was working on a dashboard widget, and it worked great.

I changed some of the css, changed the background image, and played around with the code. I kept hitting command-R to refresh the widget, but didn't exactly try dragging out of the dock... everything was fine.

Then I tried dragging from the dock and my widget simply won't drag! It opens fine in safari but when i try to drag it out of the dock, it's stuck there. I've tried restarting the dock... what else can I do? I get no errors in the console, and if i double click on the widget nothing happens. please help!

-Jax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Mayhem

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 - 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start by opening the Console and see if you're getting any error messages displayed there.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 - 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually said I got no errors in the console,...

Okay i think I got it.

I re-added my "Default.png" file and it now works, even though I don't use Default.png in my widget. I use front.png for the front and back.png for the back. In my info.plist I set DefaultImage to "front.png", but it still wont load the image unless I have a file called default.png in my widget. ANy idea why?

I just changed my widget so that default.png is the front and back.png is the background and now it works.

Weird that you cant change teh name of your default background from default.png....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Mayhem

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 - 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, read your message a bit too quickly. Yes, it is true that all widgets require a Default.png file regardless of whether you reference it in your HTML or not. This image is used to represent your widget before the HTML is loaded, say when you're dragging it in and during the ripple effect. The most common causes of non-launching widgets are covered in technical note #2139.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 - 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I was really worried for a bit, I thought my widget was dead for good!
Mayhem

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 - 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh and while the DefaultImage key were indeed referenced pre-release it is is nowhere to be found in current documentation, so it seems to have been removed since then (along with the AllowMultipleInstances key as well which I certainly would've found useful).

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 - 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I get from finding my information in google, rather than the official developer docs. Thanks.

-Jax
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.